cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API: network traffic - need help

Highlighted
Meraki Employee

API: network traffic - need help

The API GET/networks/{networkId}/traffic?timespan=7500 returns an empty array. I have a network with some clients and have traffic analysis and hostname visibility enabled a couple of days back. I see some data on the Traffic Analytics page on the UI but this API doesn't return anything. I tried with multiple timestamp values but no use. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
Kind of a big deal

Re: API: network traffic - need help

Can you provide the complete code you're using? With API keys and Network ID's scrubbed of course. 

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

As @jdsilva says, we really need to see your sanitized code.

Sometimes things like this are due to typos that you can't see yourself or something else missing. I recently wasted 45 minutes on something because I didn't realize I was using requests.put instead of requests.post, for instance. 🙂

Highlighted
Meraki Employee

Thanks for the quick response 🙂 

I am trying this in postman. This is exact URL with method GET https://api.meraki.com/api/v0/networks/{networkID}/traffic?timespan=7200.

Headers: 

X-Cisco-Meraki-API-Key : {key}

Content-Type : "application/json".

and response.

[]

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Okay, when I test that one out, I get back:

{
    "errors": [
        "Traffic Analysis with Hostname Visibility must be enabled on this network to retrieve traffic data."
    ]
}

Because, well, hostname visibility isn't... enabled... on my test network. 🙂

So you're not getting that, you're getting empty? What's the return code you see? 

200status.png
I tested it using the Launchpad API key and I get returns that way, and the above 200 OK status.

What happens when you use the Launchpad API key?
Highlighted
Meraki Employee

Yes, the status is 200, I enabled the traffic analysis and hostname visibility. So was wondering if there is a min threshold data needed for the API to show some response? because I see some data in the UI (unless the corresponding APIs are different)

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 5.08.22 PM.png

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.