API - Per Port Config on MX

JoshVanDeraa
Conversationalist

API - Per Port Config on MX

Anyone aware of a method to update the port configurations on an MX through API? API v0 docs doesn't appear that there is the support for that.

7 REPLIES 7
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

I find this the most handy API documentation -  Meraki Dashboard Prov API along with - https://github.com/meraki/provisioning-lib  like you I can't see anything about MX ports but Iwonder if a cloning based approach might achieve the same effect . . .

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@JoshVanDeraaSorry, no support. There is a push internally via the SE team to get this supported on both WAN and LAN. One of the first challenges we have to on the LAN side is an API call to flip "use a single vlan" to enabled. Quite a few customers opt to use templates, that may ease some pain for you? How many remote sites do you have?

We will have 40+ sites when we go. The templates don't work for us for two reasons:

1) Our large route would encompass any subnets that we use for unique subnets

2) We have to add interfaces at about half of the sites that binding to a template would restrict us from doing so.

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

1) Our large route would encompass any subnets that we use for unique subnets

Why don't you use OSPF as opposed to static routing? This would allows the headend to advertise only specific routes as opposed to summarizing like mentioned.

2) We have to add interfaces at about half of the sites that binding to a template would restrict us from doing so.

Using templates doesn't restrict you from adding interfaces. Maybe your referring to adding VLANs for sites that do not need them? If half the sites have vlans and half don't, create two templates. If you use VLAN templates-Unique you can specify the large summarized subnet and supernet you want to use and then override the subnet at each site(just not the subnet mask you defined in the vlan template. This pushes this back to the cloud and headend to advertise the specific routes used and make sure we don not overlap subnets if creating new sites. 

This may be confusing so I can clarify on any of the topics if needed.

We will re-check the interface front.

On the OSPF front, we had seen an article that stated the MXs only injected routes, not using OSPF for routing information. If that isn't accurate we will re-attempt. We found another issue just last night that may be the actual root cause with routing a non-RFC1918 address to an internal link.

Thanks,

Josh

FMCOM
Conversationalist

We're facing the same problem.

As far as I saw now, we will be able to add a new VLAN on every site (around 250!) and add it to the VPN via API. 

But I noticed I will have to change the per-port configuration for 3 ports on every of the 250 sites, means 750 times... Isn't there a better solution on this?

The API still is very incomplete. For example the DHCP settings of the MX are also totally missing, so we need to update this every time for every network (yes, using templates, but reserved DHCP ranges could be scripted, but not configured properly in a template).

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@FMCOM

You may find this blog post on using MX templates helpful in developing a strategy. Also - Managing Multiple Networks with Configuration Templates has plenty of food for thought

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels