1921 MPLS router to a HA pair of MX100s

SOLVED
jon1
Here to help

1921 MPLS router to a HA pair of MX100s

Hello all,

I have a 1921 (MPLS) Router with G0/0 and G0/1, each interface is connected to an MX100 in a HA pair. I also have each MX100 connected to an internet link with Auto VPN enabled. If the Master in the HA pair goes down, How will my MPLS traffic flow (from the new master, previously the spare) to the 1921 on a now different interface, on the 1921, with a different ip address? I can't assign G0/0 and G0/1 the same ip address. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jon1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could create a BVI group out of Gi0/0 and Gig0/1 and put them into the same layer 2 domain.  Then probably use a /29, so the two MX WAN interfaces  are in the same subnet as the 1921.

Personally, I would buy a 4 port Ethernet module for the router and use that instead.  Much simpler.  You probably need the part EHWIC-4ESG.

Note that if you only have Ethernet connections then it will be cheaper to buy a Cisco 891F - and the 891F will probably be faster than a 1921.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could create a BVI group out of Gi0/0 and Gig0/1 and put them into the same layer 2 domain.  Then probably use a /29, so the two MX WAN interfaces  are in the same subnet as the 1921.

Personally, I would buy a 4 port Ethernet module for the router and use that instead.  Much simpler.  You probably need the part EHWIC-4ESG.

Note that if you only have Ethernet connections then it will be cheaper to buy a Cisco 891F - and the 891F will probably be faster than a 1921.

Thank you PhilipDAth, great suggestions!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels