unsing meraki vpn on ubuntu 18.04 I lost internet access after connection

SOLVED
marianoc
Conversationalist

unsing meraki vpn on ubuntu 18.04 I lost internet access after connection

I am using ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I am conecting to a meraki vpn following this page

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/VPN-client-for-Ubuntu-16-04/td-p/8517

so this is the configuration

I can connect to the vpn without any trouble but I lost internet connection. I can use skype and log into the jira and repositories of the client but I can't go into google or any other site.

I tried disable ipv6, hide mode and also tried with other browsers. But the internet connection is always lost.

I will appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Mariano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hey @marianoc 

It looks like you've found yourself in the wrong community forum. This area is for Meraki Go, which does not support VPN.

Now, to help you out with my speculation (for what it is worth), the fact you have access to certain resources and not others is actually a good sign. Your VPN connection works, and that is the hard part.

If you are using a full tunnel VPN, you are going to be held to the standard of the firewall on the remote network. Perhaps it is, intentionally, blocking the traffic you are sending. In this case, you can use what is known as a split tunnel, which is where you only send traffic over the VPN for say JIRA and your repositories, but the rest of your traffic will still use your normal internet connection. That'll probably fix it.

Now how you go about a split tunnel configuration on linux is going to vary a great deal, and I'm not quite sure how you would go about it in your environment.

Looking for the enterprise forums?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hey @marianoc 

It looks like you've found yourself in the wrong community forum. This area is for Meraki Go, which does not support VPN.

Now, to help you out with my speculation (for what it is worth), the fact you have access to certain resources and not others is actually a good sign. Your VPN connection works, and that is the hard part.

If you are using a full tunnel VPN, you are going to be held to the standard of the firewall on the remote network. Perhaps it is, intentionally, blocking the traffic you are sending. In this case, you can use what is known as a split tunnel, which is where you only send traffic over the VPN for say JIRA and your repositories, but the rest of your traffic will still use your normal internet connection. That'll probably fix it.

Now how you go about a split tunnel configuration on linux is going to vary a great deal, and I'm not quite sure how you would go about it in your environment.

Looking for the enterprise forums?

marianoc
Conversationalist

Hi hidden0:

I really appreciate your answer.

I create a tunnel vpn but even so I couldn use internet.

Can you tell where is the right place to ask about meraki vpn?

Thanks again.

Regards,

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The enterprise forum links I provided should be a good starting off point.

My apologies for replying to you twice! I had a few too many taps open that day 🙂