Wifi download speeds

SOLVED
tacotaco
Here to help

Wifi download speeds

I understand this question will be subjective based on environment, but looking for perfect world situation response. Also couldn't find this information printed in the documentation or missed it. 

What are the max throughput/download speeds a modern device like 2020 Macbook Pro can look to get with the GR10 or GR60?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tacotaco
Here to help

I realize that max speed capabilities will only go as high as any 2x2 wifi device(meraki GR10) will push out, and in this case sounds like it's somewhere around 300Mbps.

Wish there was a 3x3 or 4x4 access point.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Moskeeto
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hello and thanks so much for your question.

To answer this would vary and be dependent on placement of the AP, download and upload baselines from a customer's ISP, number of clients utilizing the wireless network. Throughput is capped by the ISP, as well as the devices that are upstream to the APs. Throughput should be considered "aggregate throughput". Wireless is half-duplex, so the actual expected throughput is usually 50% or less of the data rate. 

Again, the answer to this would vary on the environment. I hope this helps. 

Thanks, 

Keithia

Meraki Go Support

The point of this question is to mainly understand the max throughput of the access point because I could not find any documentation providing this information. I don't want to purchase and then find out the max output is 250Mbps.

QUESTION:

Based off your description, if my ISP speed is 1 Gigabit up and down, and for WIFI IF ALL CONDITIONS ARE PERFECT(placement, no walls, etc..) that means the access point is capable of providing Wifi speeds close to 500Mbps up and down?

Thanks. 

skmyim
Conversationalist

6171B694-198F-41A5-9FDD-238575D42855.jpeg

tacotaco
Here to help

I realize that max speed capabilities will only go as high as any 2x2 wifi device(meraki GR10) will push out, and in this case sounds like it's somewhere around 300Mbps.

Wish there was a 3x3 or 4x4 access point.