Network Setup Advice

KevinW
Here to help

Network Setup Advice

Hello,

I know enough to be dangerous, but a relative networking novice.  Have inherited the following setup for small (approx. 20 employees) office:

Network is setup as follows:

Internet connection from building goes into my MX65W appliance.

From here, the signal is sent to our Meraki GS110-24 switch, which then is wired to 3 different Meraki Go GR10 Access points in various locations in the office.

Currently the MX65 device broadcasts 2 WiFi networks, while the 3 GR10 APs each broadcast 2 other WiFi networks.  Our connections will then drop/swtich from the networks broadcast from the MX65, to one broadcast from one of the GR10s (or vice versa) depending on one's location.

I'd like to have every device broadcasting the same 2 WiFi networks, and to be able to roam and switch connections from one access point to another seamlessly, without dropping/reconnecting, and to also to be able to administer everything from 1 admin console.

When in the admin console of the MX65 device, I am unable to 'claim' any of my GR10 access points, as it notes they are Meraki Go devices that have to be administered separately.  So it's my understanding what I want I want to accomplish is not possible because the two different product lines (M series vs G) can't be configured like that?

With all that said...what is my best option?  I've been given a bit of leeway in terms of buying any new equipment that might be needed.  Would replacing the MX65 with a Meraki Go GX-50HW Firewall Plus help solve my problem?  Or another product?  Looking for advice on the simplest/most effective way to do this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
6 REPLIES 6
TyShawn
A model citizen

I have both Meraki and M-Go products. The real question is what do you have your MX doing on the edge, how much support do you require, and what new features do you need in the coming 12 months? The reason being If you require 24/7 phone support Meraki is the way to go period full stop. If you just need two VLANs, a DHCP server, a few switch ports with trunk/access ports, and an AP that allows a couple of SSIDs then M-Go could work for you. If you have your MX doing AnyConnect VPN, Some of the enhanced firewall options, or site-to-site VPN then M-Go is not  the way to go.

No new features coming or expected in the next 12 months.  Ultimately just want to be able to administer it all as easily as possible from one portal, and for users to move from one area of the office to another without dropping/re-establishing connection.  Does it sound like swapping out the MX65 with the GX-50HW will serve this purpose?

Thanks for the help!

TyShawn
A model citizen

It ssoouunndsss like you just need a simple router that may or may not hand out DHCP. M-Go just released VPN support so if that becomes a need you're covered there. So yeah this router could work for you. The good news is there is a 30-day return policy in the event it doesn't do what you want it to do.

KevinW
Here to help

So I've purchased my GX50 (and an additional GR10).  Can I just add this to my Meraki Go account, and swap out the MX65 device for it?  Or would best practice to be delete my existing GR10 WAPs on my Meraki Go account first, decommission the MX65, then add the GX50 to the account, and then re-add the GR10's as if I was setting it up from scratch?

TyShawn
A model citizen

You should be able to log into the M-Go portal and add the new device or you can use the app. I wouldn’t log into the Meraki portal to do this work as they are two different ecosystems. 

doing it this way will allow you to rollback via hardware swap Incase things don’t workout. 

KevinW
Here to help

Thanks TyShawn...will be doing all via M-Go portal.  If I just add the GX50 to M-Go, can I just put in in place of the MX65, and the existing GR10 WAPs will still work?  Or is it best I remove them from the M-Go and re-add after the GX50 is up and running?