Issue with GX50/GR10 speeds after changing ISPs

SOLVED
starvindarvind
Here to help

Issue with GX50/GR10 speeds after changing ISPs

We have recently changed ISP to Xfinity, and since that switch, our wireless speeds have plummeted to 10 Mbps on all devices. Forgive me for my lack of technical jargon as I'm not IT trained.

Our set up is Xfinity Modem > Router Firewall > Wifi Router plus Meshed APs.

Our wired devices are all going at 100 Mbps. None of the access points have been moved, and previously with old ISP supported a much higher speed. I have not changed any channel/power settings on the APs. Connecting to the Wifi off the Xfinity modem renders a speed of 250 Mbps (i have since disabled that Wifi, don't know if it interferes). What am I missing? Any settings that need to be toggled? Do I need more advanced support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After firmware update, the speeds are more in line with modem speeds, so glad this got resolved. Thanks everyone.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
starvindarvind
Here to help

Don't know if important but 

Wifi Router/APs firmware version is 27.7.1

Firewall version firmware is 16.16

Meraki Tech Support is pushing new firmware soon I hope after submitting a ticket. Let's see what happens. If anyone else has any other idea, that would be great. Thanks

After firmware update, the speeds are more in line with modem speeds, so glad this got resolved. Thanks everyone.

delfuego
Getting noticed

Plug a cable into the GX and test you speed from there 1st. That will give you a baseline for wired speed.

You are currently triple NAT with 3 routers. That is not good 😞 You really should be using the Xfinity for modem only, then firewall, then switch / AP. Additionally if you AP's are not cabled/hardwired to your router/switch you could be forcing them to "half" the speed because they are send & receive over wifi. With networking, often, "less is more". Meraki also works best in "full stack" (firewall/switch/AP), it also you to administrate them all from a single interface.

PS: All wifi will interfere with one another. It's radio and susceptible to noise from other radios. Learn about SNR. We often fix large wifi deployment by turning the power down on AP's to reduce interference.

Thanks for the reply, my wired speed is 150 Mbps. I'm hardwired into my router/switch/APs so hopefully that's not a limitation. Thanks for mentioning SNR.

Cykstfc
Here to help

if it is a flat 10mbps no matter what I would verify that the cabling is good and make sure you don’t have usage limits set under settings that limit connection speeds to 10mbps.

Thanks for the reply, I mean to say, it hovers around 8-12 Mbps, no hard limit or caps set.

starvindarvind
Here to help

Xfinity Modem > Firewall > Wifi Router > Meshed APs

delfuego
Getting noticed

Glad to here it. I would still remove the "Wifi Router", or try to re-deploy  in AP mesh-mode only.