IGMP

Mouxy
Conversationalist

IGMP

Hi!

I can’t find the answer to this anywhere and support didn’t really answer my question.

Do the Meraki Go APs convert multicast to unicast traffic? 

Do the switches have igmp snooping/querying?

Thank you 

4 REPLIES 4
hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@Mouxy 

I believe support reached out to me on this one. The AP's convert multicast to unicast by default. If you see otherwise, and want us to take a look, let us know.

The switches do not have IGMP snooping or querying. This means no groups will be established and multicast should always reach all members of the network.

Mouxy
Conversationalist

Hi! 

Thank you for this 😊

I'm running 4 MR36 at the moment in my house but It's getting difficult to justify the licensing hence me looking into the Meraki Go or even Eero.

I was trying to find a proper comparison between the APs but I don't think this exists, right?

Do the GO APs do the auto-channel and frequency? Is the handoff between them comparable to what the MR do?

The obvious answer is no but it's always worth asking.

Thank you

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The GO Aps do perform auto-channel and frequency. @Mouxy  That being said, it is always worth doing a quick scan and reviewing the channel best for you, and manually assigning them to your access points.

You can change radio settings on a per access point basis in the app under the Hardware view.

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@Mouxy 

I had to come here and make a follow-up.

I was doing an un-related investigation on my GS110 48 port switch and found that they do indeed support IGMP. There are membership reports and queries behaving as expected during some testing so I thought I would come back here and set the record straight.

This means that multicast traffic only reaches ports where members have requested to join the IGMP group, but if a group is not known the multicast traffic should still be flooded.

If you need this changed or feel you are facing an issue with IGMP, please do not hesitate to reach out to support for assistance.