GX-20 - performance problem - speed from IPS

Spokii
Here to help

GX-20 - performance problem - speed from IPS

I have recently had a MERAKI GO set in my small company. I have a question. It had a link / optical fiber from the IPS operator 800/400 MB/s. Unfortunately, both on WFI and connecting the equipment directly to the LAN, I can not achieve higher internet speed than 250MBs / 250Mbs. Wifi works a bit faster because a maximum of 320 / 210Mbs. Maybe I missed something in the configuration or is it a hardware limitation?

5 REPLIES 5
hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The Meraki Go GX20 has a throughput capacity of 250 Mbps, so this sounds perfectly expected @Spokii.

That being said we recognize the need for something a bit faster and will continue to work towards the best hardware solution for our customers.

Out of curiosity, what business applications make an 800/400 (Mbps?) network connection a requirement for you? Is there a lot of backups or video/content streaming?

Thank you for the answer. The device therefore works as designed.

Yes, business is sending and processing Video 4k and 8K ect. Very heavily weighted content.

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I was genuinely curious @Spokii so thank you. 

Do you find businesses using that full 800/400 pipe at a consistent rate? 

What if Go had a 500 Mbps device? 1 Gig? I'm curious to know if that 1 Gbps speed a hard requirement of the industry or a special use case.

I think there are a lot of production / media companies that require 1Gig / 1Gig - With online production all over the world, in-flight material processing, contact with multiple media at once, such requirements are welcomed.

This speed allows us to work freely. And so the GX20 is not a device designed for this. 500 MB / s would take care of most of the needs, even the most demanding ones. Where efficiency matters, we use other Cisco products :). I just have the GX-20 at home, where I have my workplace . However, in other locations we have much more efficient equipment.

I wanted to improve my working conditions 🙂 and the GX-20 is a nice and simple device that I did not have to waste time on 🙂 Unfortunately, I was lost by my ignorance and I did not check its performance 🙂 

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I'm at least glad you were excited enough to pick it up, regardless 🙂

Our team here with Meraki Go is definitely interested in fixing the throughput gap. There are definitely circumstances, however, where either Cisco Meraki Enterprise or Cisco proper fit the bill a bit more appropriately. 

Thank you for the time, @Spokii!