GS110-8P SFP(rj45 reduction) port used as Uplink(internet) port

SOLVED
Martincz
Conversationalist

GS110-8P SFP(rj45 reduction) port used as Uplink(internet) port

Dear Meraki Go users/guru,

I have a problem with Meraki Go switch GS110-8P. I want to connect 8 poe CAM, but this switch has only 8ports plus 2 SFP, so i bought RJ45 adapter to SFP port. But i have a problem with switch management, because when i connect internet (uplink) to SFP port, switch doesnot detected the internet connection and management doesnot work. I is possible to use sfp ports as internet uplink or not? Thanks on advance, BR Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Martincz
Conversationalist

Solved 🙂 SFP adapter doesnot support less connection speed than 1Gbps. So i reconected it to 1Gbit port (internet) now works great. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Martincz 

That should be possible, yes. Any port can be the uplink port. Bear in mind, most service providers only provide a single IP address to use at your place of business or at home. This one IP address undergoes NAT to allow more than one device to connect to the internet at the same time. NAT is usually handled by a routing device, for example our GX20.

If the switch is directly connected to the internet and some other device uses the only available IP address from the service provider, the switch won't come online.

What do you connect the switch to on the other end of the SFP port?

Martincz
Conversationalist

Solved 🙂 SFP adapter doesnot support less connection speed than 1Gbps. So i reconected it to 1Gbit port (internet) now works great.