Can't get client vpn access to work on an GX50

jefh
Comes here often

Can't get client vpn access to work on an GX50

Hi all

I have just bought a GX50 for remote access to a small network, but I can't get client VPN to work. The box is directly connected to internet with a public IP address. I have tried to create a couple of users, but I cant connect to the box on the public IP address and using PSK and username/password. Any good ideas ?

5 Replies 5
Xydocq
A model citizen

hello @jefh 

did you follow the instructions on Meraki Go - Client VPN Setup - Cisco Meraki Documentation ?

What OS (Windows, Android, MacOS) are your clients on?

jefh
Comes here often

Hi Xydocq,

I have configured 2 users as guest, just to test. I have tried to configure a Windows VPN, but it can't connect. Also tried on and Adroid phone using an  OpenVPN client, but that one fails as well. I just need remote clients to have access to 3 vlans configured on this Meraki box. I think it's a bit unclear if useres need to be configured as guests or Admins?

Meraki_vpn.JPG

Xydocq
A model citizen

hi @jefh 

The GX50 uses L2TP/IPSec protocol for VPN. OpenVPN is not supported on the GX50.

Android 12 and newer don't support this protocol. I think Android 11 was the last version with support for L2TP/IPSec.

With Windows you'll have to edit the registry to make it work. "AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule" comes to my mind. I always have to look it up when adding a new vpn-client myself.

If you're still having problems, it might be best to file a support-ticket.

Cheers

jefh
Comes here often

I got it to work on a Win 11 PC. Are there any Android and IoS VPN clients that supports L2TP/IPsec? I haven't been able to find a client.

No registry changes was made. I just needed to enable all protocols on WAN miniport (L2TP), but I think it's only use PAP. I can only get VPN access to work for users added as admins, not as guests. Is that a bug ?

Xydocq
A model citizen

There's no client for Android. I was looking for one for quite some time.

Not sure about iOs, I'm not using apple products.

"Is it a bug?", you might want to file a support ticket and ask someone who's working for Meraki Go. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.