Too much packaging

sbcoms
Here to help

Too much packaging

Hi community, we are deploying more and more enterprise size networks, e.g. 100+ switches with dual power supplies and stacking cables. The sheer amount of packaging is excessive, each secondary power supply is shipped within its own box, each stacking cable ships in a plastic bag, with plastic end cable protectors plus a linen bag too. Each power cable also ships linen bag.….why? We have literally thrown away hundreds of unrequired packaging items.

Can Meraki look at replacing plastic with recyclable card based packaging, the high-density foam within switch boxes could also be replaced with a corrugated card style product? 

Meraki provide great products and solutions, leading the way in simplifying the complex, please look at leading the industry in respect to reducing unnecessary waste and becoming eco friendly...thanks

why?why?IMG_4408.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Well this just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVIqhYHOdI
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

2025 is a long way from now though isn't it?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As far as I am concerned

1. Dust caps on the stacking cables are important

2. The ziplock bag is most likely a form of anti-static bag to protect against ESD, this bag is reusable i.e. storage or spare memory or HDD's.

3. The fabric bag is a touch of marketing but its re-usable, I use these bags all of the time, they are very useful I find when hiking. If you don't want them donate them to a second hand store

I don't see how Cisco could improve this, would you prefer they put all of your products in a single box with no protection?

Hi my last communication re this..my point is that "yes delicate and expensive electronics need protecting and packaging correctly, but why use one time, throw away none environmentally materials such as plastics when recyclable materials exist?". 

Also if anyone can actually suggest a viable use for a "power cored" linen bag then please let my colleges and myself known as we are a little stumped.

I have been designing and deploying Cisco since the early 1990's, I'm a die hard fan and love Meraki, I'm merely trying to highlight unnecessary waste 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.