Project Planning

athornfam3
Conversationalist

Project Planning

Hi all... I've taken on a role at a new org. One of the items I want to take care of is get their Firewall/Routers, Switching, AP's, and Camera's into one centralized area for a few reasons... We are coming from Dell Sonicwalls, Cisco ISR MPLS at a few sites, Netgear (staples hardware), Ubiquiti AP's, and a mishmash of IP cam vendors. Its everywhere basically.

I'm looking to pilot Meraki at one of our manufacture plants (Agriculture - Farming) which would then be duplicated at the rest of the facilities (19 of them). We have 2 offices and a colocation that will get higher spec'd hardware but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were or what questions they would ask themselves when engineering this out.

4 REPLIES 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Soooo many different ways of approaching this.  As a consultancy company we would ask for network diagrams, IP schemas. Then follow up with a site survey to actually see what’s in-situ. Whilst on site we would look through the configurations, look at network utilisation, security etc etc. State of network cabling, fibres, Is a wireless survey required, location of cameras.

Im sure your Meraki AM would provide some trial eqpt to help you on your way with the project

Best of luck

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@athornfam3 as @DarrenOC said, there are lots of options even within the Meraki family.  If you want an idea before speaking to a Meraki account manager, can you give us more details about the site you want to start with?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think I would start with - the requirements.  Maybe what you have no longer meets the current company requirements, or won't meet them during the next three years.  There has been a lot of change lately.

So maybe start with a clean sheet of paper, forget what you have for a moment, and figure out:

• Are there any specific business requirements that your network needs to support (could be cloud computing, remote workers with tablets, critical 24x7 manufacturing, specific application, etc).
  • What are the things your current network is not doing well?
  • What are the network clients (are they local WiFi users, are they IoT sensors, are they remote VPN users, etc).
  • What do you see as you major data flows?  For example, is everything hosted in the cloud or a DC, so all client data needs to go to and from that location; or do you need to shift a lot of data around on each site as well.
  • In the same vain as above, what are the key applications the users will be using?

@PhilipDAth Appreciate that. That's the type of information I'm looking for.

I guess focusing on Firewalls... What would be the questions you would ask yourself? I was thinking of these questions myself.

* What is your ISP bandwidth speed and do you need that full speed? Yes or No

* What is the consistent bandwidth usage?

* Do we need Advanced Security?

* How many users and devices at the site?

* Are we going to full tunnel VPN traffic or Split tunnel?

* What is our growth rate to size for the future?

* Do we want to content filter on?

What I'm thinking with previous experience from an MSP... The larger 5+ building sites would consist of an MX100 in an HA and the satellite sites would probably be an MX68 with a Cradlepoint. I can't say much for details because I've only been here for 3 weeks but I'd like to get this going soon... We can't work efficently with Sonicwalls, 50 PtP bridges, Netgear (staples switching) and Ubnt AP's.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.