Make a wish for Meraki sales employees

SOLVED
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Make a wish for Meraki sales employees

We are pleased to announce the "Make a wish" feature for sales people working at Meraki - right here.  If you want a customer to buy more kit, achieve 110% of budget, or sell more more of the stack just wish for it right here.

It is just like the dashboard "make a wish" feature that customers get to use.  It'll  get the same response, same priority, and same outcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Very funny @PhilipDAth and being an engineer on the sales team I know better than to make such a wish, haha!  I waited a few days to see if this thread lit up as @MilesMeraki predicted, but only @stevebyatt chimed in so far with that blog post, thanks for sharing that, and I hope you got your pizza in time.  Since that blog post, there have been some updates.  Everything in the blog post is valid, only the wish system has grown and improved.

First, every wish is recorded in the system and has a unique wish ID, and like you might expect from any flex table in Dashboard, the Meraki product teams can see the entire wish list, search and sort for any wish right down to who made the wish, date/time, and what page in Dashboard you made the wish from.  

What's new since the blog post is that Meraki has grown tremendously the last couple years and is becoming a $2B business unit in Cisco, and over 1.3 million active Meraki networks and counting.  Because of this growth, there are now dozens of wishes coming in every day and hundreds every week.  While there actually is (or there was when I went through new hire training a couple years back) an actual monitor in the product team area with Dashboard wishes popping up in real time, that's more for show.  There is not (at least not anymore) some poor soul who has the job of reading, categorizing and prioritizing every wish.  

So nowadays, the wish system has been improved to examine the metadata of all wishes and intelligently look at wish data in aggregate to help automate the process.  This way specific product teams can get more meaningful wish lists that are already properly categorized by product and feature and how frequently the same thing is being wished for.

So... Yes!  Wishes do matter and are sometimes granted. Since Rachel wrote that blog post 2+ years ago, a few more examples of granted wishes.  1. MS: When looking at an individual switch port's Dashboard page, at the bottom where you can see bcast, mcast, CRCs, fragment counters over the last 5/15/60 minutes or full day... You now have the ability to zero the counters and start from that instant by selecting "with live data" which is a feature that was born out of customer wishes.  2. MR: On the RF tab, instead of just having "with live data" which was always there, you can now select hour/day/week/month and do retrospective wireless troubleshooting to see how many clients were associated, radio utilizations, and interference levels.  3. MV: Camera admins can now select a maximum retention period, per camera, so you can force any camera to discard footage after X number of days.  4. MX: Load monitoring, as described here https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Load_Monitoring

As a reminder for others who stumble across this post, it's important to make your wishes from the Dashboard page where it is relevant, because that is part of the wish data, and helps categorize wishes properly.  This is also why wishes (and this Meraki community) are not for formal feature requests or new product requests.  Direct those (and their use cases) through your Meraki sales teams.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Great idea @PhilipDAth 🙂 I'm sure this thread will soon start to fill up 😉

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Good idea - i'll try it out on my weekly pipeline call and let you know 🙂

We did do a blog post post a while back on the life of a wish -

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2015/04/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-cisco-meraki-wish/ 

I just wished for some pizza, hoping it turns up soon i'm hungry 😞

Screenshot at Dec 19 17-06-47.png

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Very funny @PhilipDAth and being an engineer on the sales team I know better than to make such a wish, haha!  I waited a few days to see if this thread lit up as @MilesMeraki predicted, but only @stevebyatt chimed in so far with that blog post, thanks for sharing that, and I hope you got your pizza in time.  Since that blog post, there have been some updates.  Everything in the blog post is valid, only the wish system has grown and improved.

First, every wish is recorded in the system and has a unique wish ID, and like you might expect from any flex table in Dashboard, the Meraki product teams can see the entire wish list, search and sort for any wish right down to who made the wish, date/time, and what page in Dashboard you made the wish from.  

What's new since the blog post is that Meraki has grown tremendously the last couple years and is becoming a $2B business unit in Cisco, and over 1.3 million active Meraki networks and counting.  Because of this growth, there are now dozens of wishes coming in every day and hundreds every week.  While there actually is (or there was when I went through new hire training a couple years back) an actual monitor in the product team area with Dashboard wishes popping up in real time, that's more for show.  There is not (at least not anymore) some poor soul who has the job of reading, categorizing and prioritizing every wish.  

So nowadays, the wish system has been improved to examine the metadata of all wishes and intelligently look at wish data in aggregate to help automate the process.  This way specific product teams can get more meaningful wish lists that are already properly categorized by product and feature and how frequently the same thing is being wished for.

So... Yes!  Wishes do matter and are sometimes granted. Since Rachel wrote that blog post 2+ years ago, a few more examples of granted wishes.  1. MS: When looking at an individual switch port's Dashboard page, at the bottom where you can see bcast, mcast, CRCs, fragment counters over the last 5/15/60 minutes or full day... You now have the ability to zero the counters and start from that instant by selecting "with live data" which is a feature that was born out of customer wishes.  2. MR: On the RF tab, instead of just having "with live data" which was always there, you can now select hour/day/week/month and do retrospective wireless troubleshooting to see how many clients were associated, radio utilizations, and interference levels.  3. MV: Camera admins can now select a maximum retention period, per camera, so you can force any camera to discard footage after X number of days.  4. MX: Load monitoring, as described here https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Load_Monitoring

As a reminder for others who stumble across this post, it's important to make your wishes from the Dashboard page where it is relevant, because that is part of the wish data, and helps categorize wishes properly.  This is also why wishes (and this Meraki community) are not for formal feature requests or new product requests.  Direct those (and their use cases) through your Meraki sales teams.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.