VPN not connecting... Timeout

Solved
TJS20222
Comes here often

VPN not connecting... Timeout

I am trying to get 2 new laptops connected to the VPN but when doing so it just time out, It's acting like there is no internet connection. I have a number of devices connected so I know the VPN is working. I have 2 laptops running windows 11 pro. When using the built-in VPN software "like I am using on other devices" in windows and you click on connect it just sits there saying connecting...

connecting.png

Really looking to get this figured out, any help would be awesome.

Meraki MX Firmware 16.16.5

1 Accepted Solution

Do the devices have HP Wolf security software installed?  Have you tried using a 3rd party VPN client rather than the builtin client which i know seems to break just about every time MS release an update. 

One I have seen suggested in other forums is 

https://www.draytek.com/products/smart-vpn-client/

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try to configure the connection again, it can help you:

https://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/meraki-client-vpn.html

Right @PhilipDAth ?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yes I have used this tool I get the same results it just sits there saying connecting...

Have you checked the Windows log?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Yes it says that the remote server is not responding. The VPN is there as I can connect to it using another computer. There are 7 clients that can connect just fine Only the new windows 11/10 machines can not connect. I may need to call the support number for this.

It's not a Meraki issue, probably It's a Windows issue. Try installing the latest updates for Windows.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are their any endpoint security products on these machines that is not on the other machines that are working?

Apart from Windows 11, can you think of anything else [networking-wise] that might be installed on the machines that don't work that isn't on the machines that do work?

No there is nothing installed, I did a restore of windows, and did all updates. disabled firewall, and defender. also made sure that the network drivers are up to date. did a number of google searches can not find a fix for this. both laptops, OMEN by HP 15-dc0000 Laptop PC series. Also a desktop hp 280 series.

The last time I saw this kind of issue, the only thing that fixed it was formatting the workstation ‌‌😬. By the way, did you test it with another internet link? like 4G.

Yes we have an old T1, I tried also using a hotspot on my cell phone, and nothing seems to be changing anything it just sits there saying connecting... But other laptops desktops work fine connect right away. I have looked over all settings nothing has changed for years. I have no idea at this point. I did do a format and reinstall still same problem Im now thinking it might be hardware like network card that the meraki does not like but in any case I do need to get this fixed.  🤔

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you ping the VPN address from the machine? Are you using IP or a FQDN as for your VPN servers address? 

Yes I can ping IP address, I connect using an IP address not a URL. I did try URL but still same problem

Do the devices have HP Wolf security software installed?  Have you tried using a 3rd party VPN client rather than the builtin client which i know seems to break just about every time MS release an update. 

One I have seen suggested in other forums is 

https://www.draytek.com/products/smart-vpn-client/

I was able to get any connect working, I just enabled it on the meraki options but configuring is a pain and would like to find something else or maybe a good tool to use. But thanks for all the help guys!

Is Anyconnect an option?

Yes Anyconnect works for me that was my solution. Now I did find that the problem was with the meraki endpoint itself. I did a firmware update and it fixed it. 😁

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.