New to Meraki

PirateRo
New here

New to Meraki

Hello, all!

I have a Meraki MS120-8 switch and I've defined a VLAN for it. I assigned one of the ports to the new VLAN and I have setup switching and router entries. The setup has the MS120-8 linked to a PC with Wi-Fi access to the wild. 

The problem we're having is that we don't have an IP assigned via DHCP. 

If I return the switch port to VLAN 1, I get an IP. Why don't I see one when I use the VLAN?

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is basic networking, if your DHCP server is the router you need to create a new DHCP scope for that VLAN.

If you have a dedicated DHCP server (like Windows Server for example) you need to configure DHCP Relay.

If you could provide more details such as a network topology it would be better to understand your case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

It's been a while. Yes, of course. Thank you!

Jonathan-S
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi PirateRo,

It is important to note that the MS120 is a simple layer 2 switch and does not support full layer 3 routing, DHCP services, static routes, or anything like that.

By default, DHCP services are going to be contained to their own broadcast domain. Additionally, the use of VLANs would segment your layer 2 network further. Your wired client will not receive an address from DHCP if there are no DHCP services being offered on that VLAN.

Hope that helps!

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.