New VLAN, Meraki Setup and hardware suggestions

netstat
Comes here often

New VLAN, Meraki Setup and hardware suggestions

Hi All,

I am trying to create a new network from the ground up. I am looking for some suggestions on which aspects needs to be taken care of while designing. We have users across the office, with 2 floors, which uses the following applications, File Share, RDP and Web access. I am thinking to divide the network to separate VLan's for Meraki appliance, Servers, Cameras, Printers, Conference room equipment, VPN. 

Do you think it would be an overkill to deploy 6 Layer 3 Meraki Switches, or  4 Layer-2 and 2 Layer-3 switches for each floor, since I would be deploying multiple VLAN's which might need to communicate between each other? I am new to networking and would like your suggestions and guidance.

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, that's an exaggeration, not to mention that managing and troubleshooting the network can become difficult.

A design with core, distribution and access would be enough.

https://ipcisco.com/lesson/network-topology-architectures/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
netstat
Comes here often

Thanks @alemabrahao for your suggestion. The Inter-VLan traffic can be communicated on Layer 3 switches, Would the Firewall be useful in this scenario and eliminating Layer 3 completely and running all VLAN's Traffic and routing from Firewall?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@netstat if you have more traffic between VLANs onsite then route on the switches, if there is more traffic out to the internet then route on the firewalls.

netstat
Comes here often

Hi @cmr  Thanks! It makes sense. We are thinking to create a network similar to below network. 

We have few servers in Azure, which is behind an Azure VMX. and we have few other servers as well on-prem which would be under Layer 2. Office 1 and Office 2 are connected with Fiber and each department would be siloed to a Separate VLAN, so we could manage policies for accessing the servers accordingly. Do you you have any recommendation on optimizing the network.

netstat_0-1683644196272.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.