How to connect two meraki MX for redun dancy

Diego123
New here

How to connect two meraki MX for redun dancy

Please i need instructions on how to connect two meraki MX together for redundancy so that if one breaks down the other one will automatically take over.

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi, first of all, both need to be the same model. Here you can find all the information.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Diego123
New here

Hi alemabrahao,

Thanks for providing the link. i saw the below diagram on the link and have a couple of questions

Diego123_0-1671073457841.png

Will the two MX be connected to each other?

How many ISPs do we need in total.

Is there another method of configuring meraki HA with just one ISP?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You only need 1 ISP. It has nothing to do with the HA setup.

The 2 MXs are connected via the downstream switch to exchange VRRP heartbeats.

Diego123
New here

Thank you RaphaeIL. Please do you have some other instructions, diagrams, or videos that demonstrated HA setup with one ISP. I am new to meraki and I want to build my very first Meraki network with one ISP, two MX, and a 48-port meraki switch.

@Diego123  you can find all documentation on Meraki site.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KathleenJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Diego,123,

The answers provided are the same that I would be telling you. You will need two identical MX's in order to setup for failover. The documentation for this can be found here:

Re: How to connect two meraki MX for redun dancy - The Meraki Community

One thing to keep in mind is that each Meraki device needs a license to work and you will need to create an account on the dashboard. To set this up go to dashboard.meraki.com and from there you can claim your equipment and add the licenses. 

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.