wireless router to use with an ONT & Meraki MX68?

Solved
TSP
Here to help

wireless router to use with an ONT & Meraki MX68?

Hi there!

Probably a super basic question, but I am totally new to fiber internet and I'm having trouble finding any guidance online.

The business I work for is switching ISP's, and switching from dsl to fiber. We already have a setup of a Meraki MX68, our current ISP's modem, and a few Ubiquiti Unifi AP's.

My new ISP installed an ONT for fiber internet but it doesn't have wifi and they don't supply routers.

The MX68 also doesn't have an internal wireless router...

Looking for suggestions on what I should get to bridge the wireless gap, something that will play nice with the MX68.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am not clear on what the issue is.

You would normally plug the MX68 directly into the ONT and configure the MX68 to use the ISP settings.

If you already have Unifi APs, you should probably just get more of the same system.  Otherwise, you would look at getting Meraki APs.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/wi-fi/models/ 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am not clear on what the issue is.

You would normally plug the MX68 directly into the ONT and configure the MX68 to use the ISP settings.

If you already have Unifi APs, you should probably just get more of the same system.  Otherwise, you would look at getting Meraki APs.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/wi-fi/models/ 

TSP
Here to help

The ONT doesn't have wifi itself, it needs a wireless router. So they say. 

And since the MX68 doesn't seem to have wifi either then I need something to actually broadcast the signal that the APs are then picking up.

Don't I? haha 🙂

As I said, I may just be misunderstanding b/c I've never used an ONT.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @PhilipDAth said, you just need an AP, pretty much any will work, though as you have an MX68, you could get an MR36 to go with it.  There is an MX68W if you can get it swapped out.

TSP
Here to help

Ok cool!

Thanks so much to you both, I appreciate it!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.