Strange Event Log Entries causing IP Conflicts - Untraceable

Solved
izcrab
Comes here often

Strange Event Log Entries causing IP Conflicts - Untraceable

Hi all, New to the platform and products.  I have a MX65W onsite and am getting some strange IP Address conflicts being caused yet am unable to find the culprit, all I get as the Client is a MAC address that I cannot find anywhere on the network, and an IP address of 127.16.x.x I now the IP address is a B class and for Private use only, however I cannot find the culprit, the IP addressing is being handled by a Windows 2022 server and not the MX, when I click on the Client (MAC address) name; I get a "Sorry we couldn't find that client, please go back and try again" error.

This is puzzling me and I am trying to rule out things that may be causing DHCP to fail to issue IP addresses to clients.

I do have a screenshot of the Event Log and can upload it if I get a response.

Thanking you all in advance.

R

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you paste the MAC on this site which vendor does the MAC belong to.

You are on the right track, what I would do is try to see the MAC table of your switches and try to find out if the rogue DHCP is connected to one of them.

https://macvendors.com/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you paste the MAC on this site which vendor does the MAC belong to.

You are on the right track, what I would do is try to see the MAC table of your switches and try to find out if the rogue DHCP is connected to one of them.

https://macvendors.com/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thanks for the link, this did help me identify the troubling device on the network and have now managed to resolve the issue, turns out the telco that came in and installed the SIP infrastructure had come and swapped out a layer 3 switch which had a config on it that included DHCP....

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.