iOS - Icons not disappearing from Homescreen after enrolment

ChrisM24
New here

iOS - Icons not disappearing from Homescreen after enrolment

Hi,

We have a number of DEP Enrolled devices which have a base profile set up on all devices that has restrictions set up and a home screen layout defined, along with a set of "allowed apps" which do not include any of the default iOS apps.

However, we've noticed that devices seem to be randomly re-adding the default iOS apps (such as weather, stocks etc) despite the profile locking those apps out. I have tried resetting the devices (via DFU mode), wiping from within Meraki, applying a seperate profile which disallows the apple apps and reinstalling the base profile - all of which have had no effect.

Devices are iPods running iOS 12 and 15 depending on their ages.

Any ideas how this is occurring?

3 Replies 3
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @ChrisM24 

Hmm I think this is down to changes between iOS 12 and iOS 15 with how Apple has changed the schema for blocking apps.

To block applications we use the “blockedAppBundleIDs” key which is only available in iOS 15+, this replaced the “blacklistedAppBundleIDs” key (as part of an effort to be more inclusive, we did similar when it comes to firewall rules).

iOS 12 probably doesn’t know what the new key means, hence why the apps are available.

To confirm this, would you mind dropping me a DM with a link to an affected device and the profile?

ChrisM24
New here

Hi Connor,

The interesting thing is that this is affecting both iOS 15 and iOS 12 devices, so even with the new key it isn't working as it should do.

Kind Regards,

Chris Morfill

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi folks,

@ChrisM24 and I worked on a solution. As per my response before, we use the “blockedAppBundleIDs” key or "allowedAppBundleIDs" which is only available in iOS 15+, this replaces the deprecated "blacklistedAppBundleIDs"/"whitelistedAppBundleIDs" keys that were used pre iOS 15.

A workaround is to create your own .mobileconfig file using Apple Configurator which contains a Restriction payload, as this still uses the old schema. This can then be uploaded to Dashboard by going to Systems Manager > Settings > Add profile > select “Upload custom Apple Profile” and upload the generated file from AC.

We opened a bug with our SM-Engineering team to include the deprecated key as well as the replacement so that devices adhere to this regardless of the iOS version.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels