Trouble Installing System Manager on Windows Server 2022 Datacenter

jweal8r
Here to help

Trouble Installing System Manager on Windows Server 2022 Datacenter

I am having trouble installing System Manager on Windows Server 2022 Datacenter

I just spun up a brand new Windows 2022 Datacenter VM.  I joined it to my domain but have not moved it to an OU yet where any GPO's are applied.  Activated the license.  Rebooted.   Tried to install the SM Agent 3.7.2 and 4.1.1... both installations end with an error.

Meraki Systems Manager Agent Setup Wizard ended prematurely.

If you look at windows Event Viewer it shows Error 1603.

Any other MSI file will install with no issue.

So far, support has no answer and is referring me to Microsoft, which we know is pointless.

I am doing this all logged in as a Domain Admin

15 Replies 15
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried with versions prior to 3.7 or even 3.8.2?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I have only tried the 2 versions mentioned at this point

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you try other versions, otherwise I suggest you open a support case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I do have a support case, they suggested version 4.1.1 which had the same issue

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try the version 3.8.2

OK, ill ask support to send me a link for that. I cant find a download

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You don't need ask them. You can change it on Meraki dashboard.

1000015886.jpg

got it, about to try it out

Same issue

jweal8r_0-1714771322739.png

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This appears to be a problem with your Windows server. Do you have another server you can test?

You can also try using a tool to clear cache and fix system registry.

This is happening on a brand new 2022 server, I then set up a brand new secondary server (as described in the original post )and the exact same thing happens

I have tried regedits, msiexec /unregister /register, I have tried  sfc /scan now, I have tried the dism tool, 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Error 1603 can be caused by several common issues such as: - Windows Installer is trying to install an application that is already installed. - The installation folder of the application is encrypted. - There are insufficient permissions to access the location where the software is being installed.

I suggest you try to install without joining the server to the domain.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think you'll need to open a support case on this one.  My guess is it a bug in the Systems Manager installer.

I have a support case, they have not been of any assistance yet, which is why I came to this forum

jweal8r
Here to help

I just launched a third server, brand new, not joined to a domain or anything... will not install.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels