Systems manager VPN options

Peter-Loyen
Getting noticed

Systems manager VPN options

Hello,

I am looking to find a solution for remote user options using a VPN client or preferably a the lack of a VPN client installed on the client device.

I know the Meraki MX supports Cisco Anyconnect client but I am looking for more.

I need to convince my Security department there is an alternative to the Palo Alto Global Protect option.

Is there an option in Systems Manager to deploy VPN services without a VPN client?

I read about Sentry and would like to know more about that too.

I know it is a general question and after reading all relevant documentation and technical options, I am not sure if it might be on par with the PA Global Protect.

Thanks

Peter

3 REPLIES 3
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Peter-Loyen  the short answer is no, VPN requires a VPN client whether thats a native client as part of the OS or an APP. Meraki unfortunately doesn't support SSL-VPN which does allow you to get around needing a client but this only works for traffic that can be transmitted using SSL i.e. HTTPS, FTP, RDP, SMB, SSH, Telnet & VNC

Most OS i.e. Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android have native VPN clients which Meraki should be able to push MDM profiles to. 

Thanks for the reply...

So the Sentry VPN solution only provides automated VPN configurations, regardless of the VPN client (embedded in OS or separate app).

So the SM is not going to provide much difference in VPN solutions, just automation.

This means Meraki only supports Anyconnect VPN client as the only straightforward solution.

This is even not suitable for Linux distro's at the moment.

In short, I rather use a third party VPN solution than Meraki owned solutions.

Are there any statements here which you do not agree with?

Thanks to comment

Peter

Systems Manager supports L2TP, IPSsec and Cisco Anyconnect.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels