Restrict/remove additional user profiles on Android tablet

SOLVED
QueBall
Here to help

Restrict/remove additional user profiles on Android tablet

I am testing Samsung Galaxy Tab E devices on Android 6.0.1

Out of the box a default user profile and a guest user is present.

I am enrolling in AFW device owner mode so the tablet does not have containers it's 100% work mode.

Problem is the guest account and ability to create new user profiles is not being restricted and so far I have not seen a method to restrict this and remove the guest profile.  That means user can simply swipe down from the top, click the user icon and change over to guest and the tablet is basically back in unrestricted mode.  They can do anything and all the built in apps that I did not allow are back.

So, how to do it?  How do you remove and restrict tablet user profiles.  We do want the users to be able to have a fair amount of control in general.  Changing wifi, managing bluetooth devices.  Just do not want a totally unmanaged user profile possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PatrickL
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hello,

You can limit the ability to add new user accounts on DO-enrolled devices by adding the restriction 'Disable modifying accounts' in Settings. You'll find this under 'More Android > Android Device Owner'. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
QueBall
Here to help

2017-10-12 13.35.18.pngShould not be allowedShould not be allowed

QueBall
Here to help

So.  No way to restrict this currently I take it.

PatrickL
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hello,

You can limit the ability to add new user accounts on DO-enrolled devices by adding the restriction 'Disable modifying accounts' in Settings. You'll find this under 'More Android > Android Device Owner'. 

Thank you.  Yes it does prevent creating new users.

but it also prevent creating sync accounts so it's not very granular.

Also the Samsung Tab E has a built in guest account out of the box.  You are still able to switch over to the guest and back to the regular profile.

BUT

They just pushed out Android 7.1.1 update from our carrier.  In the previous android 6.0.1 you could not remove or disable the guest account.  In the new Android you can remove the Guest and once removed the device owner restriction now prevents you from enabling the guest account again.  So a combination of this restriction and the upgrade to Android 7.1.1 and manual removal of guest does prevent additional user profiles.  Unfortunately it does appear you must manually remove the guest user on each device.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels