Network Usage Rules - Restrict data usage for managed apps on iOS

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Network Usage Rules - Restrict data usage for managed apps on iOS

Hi everyone! 

For those using SM to track cellular data usage on iOS devices – check out the new Network Usage Rules feature!

Network Usage Rules allow you to enable or disable roaming or cellular data for managed apps (those apps deployed through SM).

To set this up, go to Settings > Add Settings >More iOS > Network Usage Rules to set this up - it looks like this:
Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 5.01.41 PM.png

You could use this feature in conjunction with a cellular data usage policy as well! An example might be to set up a policy that checks to see when devices exceed a certain data usage threshold. If devices exceed the threshold, Network Usage Rules could become active to disable data usage by certain apps. See the guide above for more details.

Note - This payload does NOT require supervision or DEP enrollment
3 REPLIES 3
Lucas_Kramer
Here to help

This only applies to iOS devices and no Android? In case of the latter: when will this feature be rolled out? 

Anima Sana In Corpore Sano
helpful comment? Get me some kudos 🙂
Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Yes - this only applies to iOS devices right now.

I'm not sure if there are plans to apply this to Android overall, or if it is (or will be) universally supported in Android for Work (as it is for iOS). 

That being said - there are some Android apps that can be managed this way through app settings. For those apps that support it, you could make a configuration profile (SM>Settings>App Settings) to configure those apps to only work on wifi! 

There is also the option in Device Owner mode to disable data roaming (Settings>More Android>Device Owner).

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

I wonder what percentage of Meraki staffers have Android phones. Or are those limited to the gnomes?

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels