Mobile Number

Julian
Getting noticed

Mobile Number

Hi, is possible to get the mobile number of one android device? I can see the ICCID and the IMEI, but not the phone number:

Julian_0-1586175632482.png

23 REPLIES 23
MagnusK
Here to help

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

One can get the phone number from the IMEI.

Talk to a friend at a MNO, or the police or one of those government agencies.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Are you sure it has active cell service? Sometimes even with device that have an empty sim card tray but are on wifi will show like this. 

hi, yes I have more than 300 android devices with sims cards working and that info is not avaialable, I spoke with support and the confirm me the mobile number is on the sim card, mdm is getting that info from the sim cards, if that value is empty, is because that sims cards doesn't has that info.

I need to do some tests to confirm it..

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

the same result, mobiles is empty with "", laptops for example are with  null because doesn't have phone number...

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Are all the devices on the same carrier? If so who is it?

yes, all devices are with Vodafone Spain

The IMEI is analogous to an ethernet device's MAC - MNOs know both, police either ask the MNOs, or have permanent access to the MNO data. The TLAs generally get the data from the police or by interrogating the cells. Change the SIM card, phone number changes, change the phone and the IMEI changes.

Enter *#06# on the keypad of your phone to see what the IMEI is

T1
Building a reputation

I can see mobile numbers of Android phones in our network. I suspect it has something to do with enabled Android Device Admin feature.

T1_0-1586209567410.png

Julian
Getting noticed

hi, where can i find that option? I cannot see on my dashboard 😞

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Systems Manager>Configure>General>Feature restrictions

is activated

Julian_0-1586272415912.png

now I do not have in my house mobiles with sim cards to do tests, when I return to the office I will do some tests to see if the problem is in te sim card...

Logically, System Manager may only acquire network operator and phone number information when the phone connects via cellular rather than WiFi. Since we moved everything to the Cloud, there is no reason to access the local LAN from a remote device . . . so I don't see the phone number.

saihaynes
Conversationalist

Hi,

We have this on all our android devices (6-9), I've resorted to using the notes to keep a track of each number.

iOS devices are all fine, this behaviour is across 02 and Vodafone and also whether the device is enrolled in AFW or not.

Any specific Models, Android Builds in common. Wondering if it is 100% carrier thing or something on the device side.

I don't see any issues here with Google Pixel devices using carriers in the US (T-Mobile, Verizon, ATT)

CRH
Here to help

I have the exact same problem.

Phone number.jpg

CRH
Here to help

Both of them is
Model: Nokia 4.2
Security Patch Version: 2020-05-05
Carrier: Telenor DK
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

If you want the phone number, call Telenor Networks centre or their fraud department, explain why you need to know the number and give them the IMEI, they will be able to give you what you want. Customer Services may not have access to this number.

With corporate phones, I put a permanent trace on them. Additionally, Google holds location metadata.

@Uberseehandel I can find the number my self on Telenor homepage using the ICCID number, but I don't want to find it my self I want the Phone Number field to be populated, so that I don't have to work harder.

And I don't understand why Phone Number field is populated on one phone but not another phone.
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@CRH wrote:

And I don't understand why Phone Number field is populated on one phone but not another phone.

You and me both - I suspect it is not only Android dependent but also handset model dependent, can you see any consistency across handsets?

No I don't see any connection.

I think I'll try this.

1. Move the sim card around to see if the problem comes with the sim card or if it follows the phone.

2. Try installing the SIM Card Info app to see if the phone number is stored on the SIM card or not.

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

You may find this explanation of how the HLR functions helpful in explaining the relationship between IMSI, SIM and MSISDN(s). https://nextm2m.com/faq/answers/about-m2m/what-is-home-location-register-hlr/ 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels