Meraki Organization/Network Use Case in SD-WAN

SOLVED
_aDiedericks
Getting noticed

Meraki Organization/Network Use Case in SD-WAN

Hi there,

I'd like to know what are the use cases for having multiple networks to separate devices based on location/country/continent in an SD-WAN environment.

My current view is that it's not necessary if the devices are to adopt identical configurations that are anyway replicated across all the networks. Each of the networks don't hold a separate subnet, they are just connected via WAN as any other consumer internet enabled device is.

In our case the devices are only end-user devices i.e laptops and MacBooks but the tagging system in Meraki should be sufficient to target those devices for OS specific configurations without needing to separate them with specific networks in the Meraki DB.

I may be missing something, if so please let me know

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's really just a management concept.  How would you like to manage the devices or see them?

If you have a single IT team for your company, then a single network might be fine.

If you have a separate IT team per country, and you want each country to manage their own devices, then you might have a systems manager network per country.

Or you might like to segregate them by function to make creating policies easier.  Perhaps one network for BYOD and another for company-owned devices (assuming they have very different policy requirements).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's really just a management concept.  How would you like to manage the devices or see them?

If you have a single IT team for your company, then a single network might be fine.

If you have a separate IT team per country, and you want each country to manage their own devices, then you might have a systems manager network per country.

Or you might like to segregate them by function to make creating policies easier.  Perhaps one network for BYOD and another for company-owned devices (assuming they have very different policy requirements).

Right now I think it's just ease of use by separating them by country even though there are zero differences in configuration. Thanks for your response

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels