MDM Location Tracking not working (Android)

SOLVED
ShaquilleDaniel
Here to help

MDM Location Tracking not working (Android)

The location function seems to be busted, or i am doing something incorrectly. The location of the devices on the map are almost never accurate. most of the times the location shows all device in one location even-though all the devices are dispersed. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

How were you able to solve it?

Is this a bug or is there a extra step or permission I need to enable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you ask a device for its location from the dashboard (and assuming it is online) it should update within a couple of minutes and be pretty accurate (usually GPS based).

Otherwise the number of samples can vary a lot depending on what the underlying Android OS wants to do.  For example, if it is low on battery it may decide to shutdown the GPS chip, or reduce the sampling frequency a lot.

If the device is actively in use and has a good charge usually the GPS samples will be frequent.  As soon as the screen locks from inactivity the sampling rate drops off.  These things are all controlled by the Android OS, and it varies between flavours of Android.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are using BYOD mode the location updates can be very infrequent.  Device Ownder mode is a lot better.

If the devices are inside the location tracking will be less accurate.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Monitoring_and_Reporting/How_Systems_Manager_Approximates_the_Lo... 

Hi @PhilipDAth

The devices are in Device Owner Mode, but should it really be that in accurate? I am in the south and the location is set as a location in the north. and quite far in the north i might add. 

Is there any way to force location via GPS?

If you ask a device for its location from the dashboard (and assuming it is online) it should update within a couple of minutes and be pretty accurate (usually GPS based).

Otherwise the number of samples can vary a lot depending on what the underlying Android OS wants to do.  For example, if it is low on battery it may decide to shutdown the GPS chip, or reduce the sampling frequency a lot.

If the device is actively in use and has a good charge usually the GPS samples will be frequent.  As soon as the screen locks from inactivity the sampling rate drops off.  These things are all controlled by the Android OS, and it varies between flavours of Android.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels