MDM Initial Account Configuration

BP17
Here to help

MDM Initial Account Configuration

Hi folks,

This is a "Make a wish" request for anyone else wanting this feature:

We'd like to create the initial admin user on our Mac's via DEP/MDM but this isn't currently supported by Meraki's MDM system.

On Page 72 of the MDM Protocol there is a RequestType: AccountConfiguration which allows for this:
https://developer.apple.com/business/documentation/MDM-Protocol-Reference.pdf

More details of the MDM command and options can be found here:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/accountconfigurationcommand/command?chang...

JAMF's MDM supports this but we'd prefer to stick to Meraki MDM.

There are a few threads in the Meraki community looking for this same feature:

Please help get this feature added by hitting the "Make a wish" button and entering something along the lines of:

---

Please add support for the AccountConfiguration RequestType available in the Apple MDM Protocol.

Details are on page 72 of the MDM Protocol Reference:

https://developer.apple.com/business/documentation/MDM-Protocol-Reference.pdf

Thank You!

---

Hopefully our wishes will be granted 🙂

Cheers

Ben

6 REPLIES 6
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BP17 Good luck, each MDM has their pros and cons, Meraki provides a more machine information than JAMF while at the same time JAMF is a lot more flexible than Meraki. 

GrldP
Here to help

Great idea ?d like to support but I can’t find the make a wish button.
BP17
Here to help

Hi @GrldP

When you login to your Meraki account (not the forum) there is a Make a wish button in the bottom right corner of the screen (you may have to scroll down to find it).

Thanks for the support 🙂

Cheers
Ben
GrldP
Here to help

Thanks! I was looking for a dedicated make a wish forum where I could voice my wish for this feature too.
Noah_Salzman
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hey Ben,

A well researched wish! Thanks for making the suggestion, it certainly is a feature we will consider the next time we review our list of macOS asks.

Just curious, in the absence of this feature, how are you making do? Are you scripting your way around this (as another SM user did in the other thread)? Additionally, how does this rank versus other macOS wishes you might have?

Cheers,

--Noah--

Hi Noah

Thanks for the reply 🙂

We're manually creating the account for now - or instructing staff in overseas offices to create the account for us which isn't ideal.

Ranking - this is high up for us.

We're trying to get our heads around the whole DEP/MDM deployment workflow and this is the first stumbling block we've hit. Once we have an account on the computer we can start to run other packages to get our software installed and remote access.

Cheers

Ben

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels