MDM - Android

SOLVED
Gary
Comes here often

MDM - Android

Has anyone had success with designing a policy that a user CANNOT remove either by accident or intentional on the Android o/s? We manage this within IOS using DEP which is great, but am widening to include our Android users but am conscious we issues devices that can be wiped or tampered with. Yes I know about HR Policies, Yes I know about education, I want to enforce by design, not by option - have you succeeded ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

we all have to start somewhere 🙂

we use meraki on android devices where i work and i have found that unless you have the password or can get into the factory reset options of the device meraki can't be removed.

i believe there is something called factory reset protection (FRP) available from google which can stop this but i haven't tried it myself. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaulAM87
Here to help

Hi Gary,

Do you mean the meraki management app itself?

are you planning on setting the device up as meraki being the owner?

Gary
Comes here often

To be honest I hadn't even got that far, we have a well established Cisco Wireless network an could use Meraki alongside, but seems overly complex - but was interested if anyone had secured androids on anything- was stating from a low point 😉

we all have to start somewhere 🙂

we use meraki on android devices where i work and i have found that unless you have the password or can get into the factory reset options of the device meraki can't be removed.

i believe there is something called factory reset protection (FRP) available from google which can stop this but i haven't tried it myself. 

Gary
Comes here often

That looks interesting 

thanks for shareing 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using "Device Owner Mode", if not, you should be.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Deployment_Guides/Android_Enterprise_Deployment_Guide_(Android_f...

This gives you complete control over the Android device.

And yes - everything about MDM is painful.

Gary
Comes here often

Ok that sounds cool, tbh we had been securing IOS so well it seemed poor not to have the same control with Android, this looks good. Thanks for the pointers

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels