Install SSP to Macs

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Install SSP to Macs

Hi Folks,

I have decided to move away from my traditional methods of installing software and our Meraki on our machines to something similar to my iPad deployment. We are going to use DEP and hand over Macbooks sealed in boxes. The user just has to create a local account and Meraki will take over the rest. In synopsis, I am now letting users decide what they want on their machines and the arrival of SSP now being integrated within Meraki is great. (Great timing as Apple is killing off Netboot lol)

I threw together this Apple Script that directs users to our SSP. I saved it as a .app and changed the app icon using a process outlined here. After adding it to my applications folder I created a .pkg file (I use Composer - but there are several free options out there!). Uploaded and pushed it to our laptops. 

# Script to open the Meraki Self Service Portal (SSP) in Safari for users. It is recomended that this should be saved as a .app and installed with Meraki via a .pkg. 

tell application "Safari"
	open location "https://mp.meraki.com/ssp/login?pcc_enrollment_code=INSERT-ENROLLMENT-CODE-WITH-DASHES"
	activate
end tellNSS

I am using the beta program for software deployment. Software deployment has been much better and more reliable than in the past. I am sure it will be rolled out soon!

~Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
4 Replies 4
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

While this idea does sound amazing it also gives me cold sweats and I find in my field 80% of users have no clue how to install software and getting them to navigate something that we think looks simple is a mine field for them.

I guess I am stuck to spoon feeding users with their setups 😞

I completely understand @BlakeRichardson. When I first deployed Macs we had something similar to this created for my organization. It was literally a website that would just install the packages to Downloads and our users (who are admins of their machines) would install it. I make help guides available and our Self Service model seems to be working. This is just a change in UI - they had to log in with LDAP credentials the same as they do with SSP. 

What I first did was put something introductory in our original Self Service portal - like a printer and it taught them quite well on how to use it.

sshort
Building a reputation

@jared_f @BlakeRichardson I'm using Nomad/Nomad Pro to sync the local Mac password with AD/Okta. The app lives in the menu bar, and has a lot of customizable options, including a self-service section. I'm currently using that link to redirect users to our Munki app repo, but it works well in testing with just a link to the new Meraki self-service portal.

During new-hire orientation we direct users to that menu icon to both reset their password and how to download additional software, if needed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels