Disable Personal Hotspot iOS 11

SOLVED
sbishop
Here to help

Disable Personal Hotspot iOS 11

Is there any way to disable the Personal Hotspot option in iOS 11? With organization owned devices using data paid by the company, I would prefer not to allow the user to use the hotspot feature to browse the internet or stream data intensive media on the company's dime. Maas360 is capable of this feature so apparently it is feasible. Am I overlooking it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrancoC
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi,

At the moment, it is not possible to restrict the hotspot feature using Cisco Meraki EMM solution.

However, it can be turned off for clients individually.

In Dashboard, you would need to go to System Manager > Monitor > Clients, then select a client, and in the MDM commands you will find "Data Settings", which will give you the option to Enable/Disable Personal Hotspot.

A few things to take into consideration:

-The device needs to be supervised.

-Clients have the option to turn it back on manually in the device itself.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
FrancoC
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi,

At the moment, it is not possible to restrict the hotspot feature using Cisco Meraki EMM solution.

However, it can be turned off for clients individually.

In Dashboard, you would need to go to System Manager > Monitor > Clients, then select a client, and in the MDM commands you will find "Data Settings", which will give you the option to Enable/Disable Personal Hotspot.

A few things to take into consideration:

-The device needs to be supervised.

-Clients have the option to turn it back on manually in the device itself.

Are there plans to implement this in a future update?

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

We would second the creation of this feature. Maybe something like "Automated Management" so every time the device checks-in it will turn off. We could also see this being useful for setting wallpapers (currently I have a time tag to allow users to fall in and out of the configuration each day).

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

Hi,

While I'm not able to confirm right now if and when that option will be available, I do invite you to leave a feature request on the "Make a wish" section of your Dashboard.

Hello-

Has there been any traction on this? Limiting the data connection and turning it off on a per device basis isn't a solution.

Looks like this is a feature for Android devices, but not iOS. Why is that?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could enable 3G data monitoring.  Not a great solution, but at least you would know if someone was going through a lot of data.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels