Deploy Username and Password as "managed app config" for Safari

SOLVED
mriske
Comes here often

Deploy Username and Password as "managed app config" for Safari

Hello,

first, some background information and what i want to do:

We deployed a Safari Web Clip for our branch offices and would like to deploy the login credentials (username/mail and password) as well, as this would make their and our work much easier.

The website also logs you out, if the Web Clip is closed.

Can i deploy the credentials through a managed app config or any other way, if so, how?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This is a limitation of both.

Regarding your second question: Also no. Google used to have managed app config capability for Chrome, but with the move to WebKit (the underlying technology for chrome), much of this functionality was removed

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Sadly this is not possible with a Web Clip 

I don't know what your appetite for development is, but you could always deploy a certificate for users and use this for auth instead.... SM supports the dynamic naming of certs, so each user could have their own...

mriske
Comes here often

Okay, thanks for the reply.

Is this a restriction for Web Clips or the entire Safari App?

If i can deploy the credentials for Safari, would it be possible to also deploy bookmarks and restrict the browser, so the user can only access whitelisted sites through it?

Then, I would also need a bookmark on the homescreen to the site (i dont think this is an issue...).

Regarding development... Unfortunately this site isn't hosted by us and i don't think our partner can or will change this just for us.

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This is a limitation of both.

Regarding your second question: Also no. Google used to have managed app config capability for Chrome, but with the move to WebKit (the underlying technology for chrome), much of this functionality was removed

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels