Can't re-enroll company owned android device after removal from dashboard

bergdg
Comes here often

Can't re-enroll company owned android device after removal from dashboard

I have a Moto G Power 2021 phone that I deleted from the dashboard before removing profile. The profile loaded on the device is a 'device owner' profile. This profile blocks app installation and also blocks factory reset. I tried using the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery Program to factory restore the device. It will not reset it. I'm guessing because of the installed profile. I can't activate debugging because of the profile. So I can't root. I can't unlock the bootloader with the code received from Motorola. Is this device toast?

The SM app shows the following in configuration:

Enrolled in: Systems Manager - green check

Last Sync: NOT ENROLLED ON SERVER 

Device Administration Enabled - green check

SM is device owner - green check

Install AFW account - Yellow Attention

Location Services Enabled - green check

7 Replies 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Wipe data / factory reset isn't an option. I believe the profile installed is blocking that option.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

So you cant put the device into recovery mode at all? 

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on. Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode. "

I can get into recovery mode, but the option to wipe / reset isn't listed in the options. I've tried the Moto / Lenovo recovery, I've tried to manually apply the factory image with fastboot/adb. No dice. This profile has this thing locked down good.

bergdg
Comes here often

Wipe data / factory reset isn't an option when I boot into recovery. I believe the profile installed is blocking that option. When I remove the profile on a similar device and reboot into recovery, the option to wipe data shows up.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't believe profiles can stand in the way of recovery mode, they usually only block a factory reset when the device is booted into its OS. 

It's definitely blocking the wipe data option in recovery. See attached picture.

No wipe data option.No wipe data option.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels