Wifi6 and M-gig

TyShawn
A model citizen

Wifi6 and M-gig

I feel like this request is a couple of years early but I wanted to get this request out in the open. With the official rollout of the GX50 and the device supporting 500Mbps WAN to LAN it got me thinking about what could be next. So here I go with my wish list.

WiFi 6/6e

It would be great to be able to move customers over to the newer standards in WiFi when the market really kicks into gear. These AP would also support m-gig on their uplink ports as well.

M-gig Switches

To pair the APS listed above it would be great to have a matching switch to support those m-gig APs, and to take tings s step further allow the customer to have a few additional ports for their network i.e. An 8-port switch could have 4 m-gig ports and 4 1g ports. The 24 port switch could have 8 m-gig ports and 16 1G ports. 

I am sure that the GX50 has a 1gig backplane to with this new switch setup the app could auto enable L3 on the switch to keep the traffic at line rate. 

Again I know this is a pie in the sky ask and it won't happen overnight, but I wanted to get the ask out there as we are started the road of a product refresh.

4 REPLIES 4
TyShawn
A model citizen

As I thought about how to make this happen and keep things simple for the customer base. Here are a couple of ideas I bounced around.

1. Limit the amount of VLAN (50-100)

2. Reserve a VLAN outside of the range of allowed VLANs for the Uplink routing

3. Create a screen with some of the following option:

• VLAN Name
  • VLAN Number
  • Allow communication between other VLANs ( Yes | No | Custom)
delfuego
Getting noticed

+1 on Wifi6 (6e) We cannot in good conscience sell a full stack Meraki Go solution with the current gen AP's.

As far as Multi-Gb switches and AP's, I am not holding my breathe. They are barely there on Meraki Enterprise and that gear is very pricey.

TyShawn
A model citizen

@delfuego That is a true statement and one I wish that wasn't the case, but I have a feeling in the coming quarters the 2.5/5G port options should be out. If not then the market will shift to other options until Cisco/Meraki is able to compete. From the looks of things other vendors are starting 2.5/5G ports with and without POE at a cheaper price, along with cheaper vendors starting to rollout cloud solutions. 

delfuego
Getting noticed

@TyShawnI heard a little birdy say there was some new AP's coming. Lets cross our fingers that they hit the mark. I don't want to be on the "Go" forum in 1-2yrs and hear people asking and complaining. I hope Meraki Go is listening. I hope they knock it outta the park.

I do have to say that I have deployed sooo many AP's in the last 5-10yrs and rarely hear users complain about speed. I will take stable connectivity over speed every day of the week.