Monitoring Cellular connection

Kenneth
Getting noticed

Monitoring Cellular connection

So I am doing a write up on the cellular failover function for the MX, and as it happens it is, as they say, easy to set up and fail over pretty good. But the one thing I'm missing is monitoring the cellular link. The link state ready does not reflect that it has "checked in" with the provider and has an external IP as I understand it. So my question is if there is a way to provide this, maybe a scripted solution that fails over by disabling the Primary WAN and checks for activity or something else? 
Anyone I open to suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Kenneth,

If you look at the "Uplink" tab of the MX Appliance status page you can see the IP information, signal strength, and provider info for your cellular uplink. Does that help?

As well, I believe the connection monitor is running on the cell link as well.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Connection_Monitoring_for_WAN_Fai...

If those tests fail then the cell interface is marked as "Failed" as opposed to "Ready"

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hah! You tricked me! I thought something went wrong on my end and my reply didn't post. But in fact you double posted!  tsk tsk

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.