Firmware release schedule

Charlie
Getting noticed

Firmware release schedule

I know this is an older topic but I have not seen any updates from Merkai in regards to having an actual release schedule for their code.  I am probably like most folks that want to know if there's a schedule of quarterly?  twice yearly?  or is it just as they feel it's ready?   

Here's my situation- I have many spokes sites that are 7x24 clinical environments.  Getting down times is not an easy task.  We are fairly new to Meraki but see that some of our sites are out of date and should be upgraded to the latest Stable Release code.  My problem is that the S.R. version is dated Sept-2018.  If I am going to try and create a downtime schedule for around 300 sites and I want to make sure I get a good version that is not going to be replaced in a few weeks.  So I am holding off on my upgrades until the next version is released.  My reasoning for a schedule is that I'd like to approach our clinical community and see if I can swing some type of scheduled maintenance schedule with them and I want to try and sync these time frames up.  Is there a published schedule that I have not run across?  I have asked Support and they were not able to provide one and punted to engineering.

5 REPLIES 5
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

There is no schedule. As well, each product line releases on their own independent of what other product teams are doing. 

The likelihood of Meraki ever implementing a schedule is extremely low IMO. 

Thanks.  SOunds like I'll just wait a little longer and do some upgrades on the next release when it comes out.  Not troubleshooting an issue at the moment but hopefully none bite me before then.  

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@jdsilva is correct that there is no set schedule.  While that can be frustrating, it's also an advantage in some ways.  But there is a definitive process through which firmware must evolve, and depending on customer adoption rates and the level of field exposure of new firmware, the timeline of that process is going to vary.  It will vary from product to product, as well as very a bit from release to release in the same product line.

There's a recently updated firmware best practices guide on the docs site, and has the latest updates on GA, SRC, Alpha/Beta releases, etc.  Check this out if you haven't come across it yet, it's a good read and was refreshed late last year.  https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

Thank you for the link I have seen that one which is pretty good on technique.  I'll try and continue to push my SE for any type of indicator that one is coming out soon. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For customers where downtime is an issue, I only use the "stable" release train.  This does not get updated that often.  Maybe a couple of times a year, depending on the product line.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.