Can A PC On VLAN1 Access VLAN2?

Solved
SonnyB
New here

Can A PC On VLAN1 Access VLAN2?

Hi,

Our Meraki is configured to auto assign IP's to PC's and VOIP phones, isolating the 2 on different subnets. 

Is there a way for a PC that is on the PC subnet to access the VOIP subnet? 

In the past, in a similar situation without using VLAN's, I would assign the PC a static IP, gateway, that was used for the PC subnet and also the VOIP subnet. From there, I could access either networks.

For example, 

PC Subnet is

IP: 192.168.10.xxx

Sub: 255.255.255.0

Gate: 192.168.10.254

VOIP Subnet is

IP: 192.68.50.xxx

Sub: 255.255.255.0

Gate: 192.168.50.254

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Sonny

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are both PC and server connected directly to the MX?

If so, you have to configure the port where they are connected in their respective VLANs.

This is actually a very simple setup.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, definitely. Do you have a MX? If the MX is the default gateway for each network, you don't need an additional configuration.

Just to be sure, do you have any firewall rule?

Also try disabling the local firewall on the machines.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Hi @alemabrahao , yes, our is a MX. At the moment, there are no firewall rules. I think the MX is the default gateway. I'm trying to confirm it's IP. 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You have configured two subnets both on the same VLAN? If so thats not good practise and for VOIP systems would mean network could be noisy of client devices are sending a lot of traffic such as multicast.

If you have them on seperate VLANS then you could setup route if using a layer 3 switch, if you don't have a layout 3 switch you would need a router/firewall like a Meraki MX or Fortigate.

Hi @BlakeRichardson sorry for the confusion. 

VLAN1 (PC's)

has its own unique subnet.

Example: 192.168.10.xxx

VLAN2 (VOIP's)

has its own unique subnet.

Example: 192.168.50.xxx

Cool. Ours is a Meraki MX. I'm guessing that I just need to find which port the PC we're dedicating this to and then change it from VLAN1 to VLAN2? 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are both PC and server connected directly to the MX?

If so, you have to configure the port where they are connected in their respective VLANs.

This is actually a very simple setup.

Thank you very much. I had to locate the PC's IP to find the port it was on and then switched it from VLAN1 to VLAN2. 

Cheers.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Thank you very much. Cheers.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.