Update Layer 7 Firewall rules

RichB
Conversationalist

Update Layer 7 Firewall rules

Hi, I'm trying to add to the layer 7 rules via the updateNetworkApplianceFirewallL7FirewallRules api. As I understand it, I cannot just add a new rule, I have to read in the existing rules and then add my rule and send the whole lot back. I've got to the point where I have the existing and new rule as variables and have combined them. When I try to update the rules, I get the error: 400 Bad Request, {'errors': ['The "rules" parameter must be an array of hashes (each representing a firewall rule)']}

This is new rules variable I'm trying to send:

print (l7fw_rules)
{'rules': [{'policy': 'deny', 'type': 'application', 'value': {'id': 'meraki:layer7/application/101', 'name': 'CBS Sports'}}, {'policy': 'deny', 'type': 'application', 'value': {'id': 'meraki:layer7/application/40', 'name': 'ESPN'}}, {'policy': 'deny', 'type': 'application', 'value': {'id': 'meraki:layer7/application/96', 'name': 'foxsports.com'}}]}

going round in circles now so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2 Replies 2
xaviervalette
Here to help

Hello @RichB,

Are you talking about this endpoint : https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!get-network-appliance-firewall-l-7-firewall-rules ?

If yes, here is a working script using your payload (note the json.dumps() for the payload):

Code

import requests
import json
import yaml

# Open the config.yml file and load its contents into the 'config' variable
with open('config.yml', 'r') as file:
config = yaml.safe_load(file)

# New rules to be created
newRules = {'rules': [{'policy': 'deny', 'type': 'application', 'value': {'id': 'meraki:layer7/application/101', 'name': 'CBS Sports'}}, {'policy': 'deny', 'type': 'application', 'value': {'id': 'meraki:layer7/application/40', 'name': 'ESPN'}}, {'policy': 'deny', 'type': 'application', 'value': {'id': 'meraki:layer7/application/96', 'name': 'foxsports.com'}}]}

# Create the URL for retrieving all VLANs in the network
url = f"https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/networks/{config['networkId']}/appliance/firewall/l7FirewallRules"

# Set the HTTP headers
headers = {
"Content-Type": "application/json",
"Accept": "application/json",
"X-Cisco-Meraki-API-Key": config["apiKey"]
}

# Make the API request using the requests library
response = requests.request("PUT", url, headers=headers, data=json.dumps(newRules))

# Print the status code of the response
print("\nRequest status code : "+str(response.status_code), "\n")

# Parse the response as JSON
responseJson = response.json()

print(responseJson)

Ouptut

Request status code : 200 

{'rules': [{'policy': 'deny', 'type': 'application', 'value': {'id': 'meraki:layer7/application/101', 'name': 'CBS Sports'}}, {'policy': 'deny', 'type': 'application', 'value': {'id': 'meraki:layer7/application/40', 'name': 'ESPN'}}, {'policy': 'deny', 'type': 'application', 'value': {'id': 'meraki:layer7/application/96', 'name': 'foxsports.com'}}]}

Indeed, it removed the existing rules :

xaviervalette_0-1678956787439.png

You can find everything on the following repo: https://github.com/xaviervalette/meraki-update-l7-firewall-rules,

Hope it helps! 🙂

Xavier VALETTE

Hi @xaviervalette, thank you for taking the time to reply and for your help. Although not exactly what I was looking for, this has helped me greatly by expanding my knowledge of using the requests library rather than the meraki library which is what I was using before. I'm a python beginner so have learned a lot by trial and erro and I've now got some working code.

Cheers.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.