Unclaim devices from an ORG API

SOLVED
Nik1
Here to help

Unclaim devices from an ORG API

There exists an API to claim devices into an org, but an 'unclaim' does not exist? Am i missing something?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Seshu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @Nik1 

You can just remove the device from the dashboard network and leave it claimed in the Org. You can claim the device again in another org after removing it from the network. Claiming in multiple orgs is allowed as long as the device is not in any network. After you add the device to a network in one of the orgs, the device will be automatically unclaimed from all the other orgs. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meraki Team

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Seshu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @Nik1 

You can just remove the device from the dashboard network and leave it claimed in the Org. You can claim the device again in another org after removing it from the network. Claiming in multiple orgs is allowed as long as the device is not in any network. After you add the device to a network in one of the orgs, the device will be automatically unclaimed from all the other orgs. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meraki Team

Nik1
Here to help

Thank you for a prompt response and a solution. 

Regards. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm sure it did not used to work this way @Seshu .  Is this a change in behaviour?

This is how it was for over an year as far as I know. No sure how this behavior was before 2018

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>This is how it was for over an year as far as I know. No sure how this behavior was before 2018

That is interesting.  Out "standard operating procedure" for clients that have Meraki kit stolen is to create a new organisation for the stolen kit.  We can then replace the stolen kit in the primary organisation with no licencing issues.  And the stolen org used to prevent that kit from being claimed anywhere else.

It seems we'll need to go back and re-visit those stolen orgs, and create actual networks and put the kit into them, and then let licence violation kick in.

Nik1
Here to help

I have now tested this and can confirm it works. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.