Suplemental Network Monitoring

TBisel
Getting noticed

Suplemental Network Monitoring

Has anyone implemented any additional Network Monitoring? I am looking at OpManager and Solarwinds. Both claim are compatible. Currently starting trial for OpManager but cant seem to figure out how to connect it to the dashboard at all. But looking to see if anyone has any tips or recommendations.

9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ir probably uses SNMP.  It's a real pain.

Regarding SNMP.

You can poll a device directly with the standard v2 MIB, and poll the dashboard using the proprietary Meraki MIB.

More info here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/SNMP_Overview_and_...

Keep in mind that the SNMP password settings are configured in two different locations depending on whether you're polling a specific device (different password per network) or if you're polling the dashboard (organization wide configuration).

Organization > Settings

Network-wide > General

FYI to poll the dashboard you don't need access to the management VLAN of the devices. To poll the devices themselves you do need access to the subnet.

BrechtSchamp

I must have something wrong I'm not getting anything from the SNMP walk. And even if I did I'm having a difficulty trying to figure out how to actually join OpManager and Meraki. Was hoping to get some groundwork done prior to scheduling a demo but I don't think its going to happen.

MarcP

You guys happy with Solarwinds? I want something that is going to give me all the monitoring that the dashboard has but also include what I feel are major shortcomings like load percentage, hardware status, and event monitoring better than "Hey we dropped 900 events, we was busy so figured since something was definitely happening it would be less important to record what was going on so we just gave up. Good luck troubleshooting!"

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@TBisel wrote:

I must have something wrong I'm not getting anything from the SNMP walk. And even if I did I'm having a difficulty trying to figure out how to actually join OpManager and Meraki. Was hoping to get some groundwork done prior to scheduling a demo but I don't think its going to happen.

Is that a walk over the device mib or a walk over the dashboard mib? What tool are you using?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

has but also include what I feel are major shortcomings like load percentage, hardware status, and event monitoring better than "Hey we dropped 900 events, we was busy so figured since something was definitely happening it would be less important to record what was going on so we just gave up. Good luck troubleshooting!"

Meraki don't expose load percentage or hardware status via SNMP.

I'm getting a very Apple kind of "We know what you want better than you." type of situation. Is Meraki going to give me viability to anything additional through SNMP or are we shut out of it all?

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

MarcP

You guys happy with Solarwinds? I want something that is going to give me all the monitoring that the dashboard has but also include what I feel are major shortcomings like load percentage, hardware status, and event monitoring better than "Hey we dropped 900 events, we was busy so figured since something was definitely happening it would be less important to record what was going on so we just gave up. Good luck troubleshooting!"

Well it is ok... actually we mostly just use it to see "online / offline". 

sometimes we need to see some more details but for example it is not showing CPU Usage / RAM Usage etc for Meraki devices. Thats a bit annoying.

Only stored data is Paketloss / Average response time

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

We are using Solarwinds...

Using SNMPv1/2 polling every 180 seconds. working ok, any questions on that?

dlutzweiler
Just browsing

We use Logic Monitor and I think it is worth looking into. It does a nice job of monitoring/reporting/alerting and has great customization features.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.