Security events count and type

omaralrafei
Here to help

Security events count and type

I am interested in displaying the security events in an organization. I have found my way around the pagination for this specific call, however it seems a bit tedious to call this endpoint 40 times to get all of the events in a specific timespan (1 week gets me 40000 events).

Is there a more efficient way to tackle this? unless i need to maintain a database for my calls as cache 🙂

3 Replies 3
sungod
Head in the Cloud

Assume you mean this call...

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/get-organization-appliance-security-events/ 

It will return up to a year of events. If you use the Meraki Python library it will handle the pagination for you.

Fwiw we gather this data on multiple organizations and store it for analysis/reporting, the call is run monthly for the previous month's events, and results appended to our long-term archive.

There are also non-appliance security events, these are retrieved per-network...

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/get-network-events/

...the events are returned most recent first, so we page until we get to events older than the month before and stop there.

Hi @sungod, thank you for your insights on the back-end side of this API call. I am definitely interested in the security appliances' events at the moment, however i am retrieving this data through a node.js backend. This still requires the same amount of API calls on this endpoint and they can't be made asynchronously as i have to wait for the "rel=next" link to be able to proceed.

I guess i was a bit optimistic in finding a faster way of providing this info, but it seems setting up a database to act as cache is necessary for these kinds of calls as to not overload the server with too many requests for the same resource as it seems redundant. 😅

You do need to use both API calls to get all the events, the second one I mention isn't appliance specific, but still is the only way to get certain appliance events that are security related (you can specify a filter so that it will only return appliance events).

These include...

{'category': 'Network-Based Application Recognition', 'type': 'nbar_block', 'description': 'Layer 7 firewall rule'}
{'category': 'Filtering', 'type': 'cf_block', 'description': 'Content filtering blocked URL'}
{'category': 'Filtering', 'type': 'sf_url_block', 'description': 'Security blocked URL'}
{'category': 'Filtering', 'type': 'sf_binary_block', 'description': 'Security blocked file'}
{'category': 'Intrusion Detection', 'type': 'ids_start', 'description': 'Intrusion detection started'}
{'category': 'Intrusion Detection', 'type': 'ids_error', 'description': 'Intrusion detection error'}
{'category': 'Intrusion Detection', 'type': 'ids_update', 'description': 'Intrusion detection rules update'}

...also events for AnyConnect.

This call will get you the current set of possible events, you can see which might be of interest to record...

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/get-network-events-event-types/

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.