Redirect stdout, stderr to websocket

FabrizioRollo
Here to help

Redirect stdout, stderr to websocket

Hi,

I'm trying to redirect the stdout and stderr of each API call to a websocket or eventually a log file, here the code I'm using:

import meraki
from contextlib import redirect_stdout, redirect_stderr
import io
from flask import Flask
from flask_socketio import SocketIO, emit

async_mode = None

app = Flask(__name__)
app.config['SECRET_KEY'] = 'secret!'
socketio = SocketIO(app, async_mode=async_mode)

@app.route('/getOrganizations')
def getOrganizations():
    captured_output = io.StringIO()
    with redirect_stdout(captured_output), redirect_stderr(captured_output):
        try:
            API_KEY = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
            dashboard = meraki.DashboardAPI(API_KEY, output_log=False)

organizations = dashboard.organizations.getOrganizations()
            socketio.emit('my_test',
                          {'data': captured_output.getvalue()})
            return {'organizations': organizations}

except meraki.APIError as err:
            print('Error: ', err)
            return {'error': err}

If I restart the Flask server everything works fine the FIRST call and I get the desired output:

2022-05-05 17:02:32 meraki: INFO > Meraki dashboard API session initialized with these parameters: {'version': '1.15.0', 'api_key': '************************************9ea0', 'base_url': 'https://api.meraki.com/api/v1', 'single_request_timeout': 60, 'certificate_path': '', 'requests_proxy': '', 'wait_on_rate_limit': True, 'nginx_429_retry_wait_time': 60, 'action_batch_retry_wait_time': 60, 'retry_4xx_error': False, 'retry_4xx_error_wait_time': 60, 'maximum_retries': 2, 'simulate': False, 'be_geo_id': None, 'caller': None, 'use_iterator_for_get_pages': False} 2022-05-05 17:02:32 meraki: DEBUG > {'tags': ['organizations', 'configure'], 'operation': 'getOrganizations', 'method': 'GET', 'url': '/organizations', 'params': None} 2022-05-05 17:02:32 meraki: INFO > GET https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/organizations 2022-05-05 17:02:33 meraki: INFO > GET https://n392.meraki.com/api/v1/organizations 2022-05-05 17:02:34 meraki: INFO > organizations, getOrganizations - 200 OK

BUT in the subsequent calls nothing will be redirect to captured_output, it returns just nothing!

I've tried with different methods eg. sys.stdout, sys.stderr, with websocket or redirect to file, Flask, FastAPI...you name it!
I was able to get the stdout/stderr only the first time after a server restart.

Has someone an idea?

Regards

Fabrizio

8 Replies 8
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi , 

I'm really not familiar with your setup and Flask , but in your code there is only one call which is 

dashboard.organizations.getOrganizations

Where are the other calls ? Where they omited ?

@RaphaelLI'm calling the endpoint via GUI with a button, subsequent calls to the same endpoints just return nothing.

here's the GUI meraki-explorer 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have no idea, but have you thought about using one of the existing Python logging modules?  The Meraki Python module also has a lot of logging controls for things it does.  You could see which logging module it uses and copy.

@PhilipDAthpython has a logging handler for socket SocketHandler but this is TCP socket handler, not a websocket one, adapting this handler to my needs was not the best option for me.

Greenberet
Head in the Cloud

the Async/DashboardAPI objects are saving the logger in the _logger member.

You could just do a

dashboard._logger.addHandler( my_logger_handler ) 

then all messages from which are sent through the logging module would be sent to your handler

@Greenberetthis could have been a solution if I had a couple of dashboard instances, since my script has several dashboard instances i preferred to a "global" solution as explained below. Anyway THX

FabrizioRollo
Here to help

I was finally able to address the issue, the problem was how io.String() handles the buffer...but I ended up with a complete other solution.
I was looking to catch the API execution logs and display it in the web Application console, the best solution is to redirect the stdout/stderr to a redis pub/sub server like this:

from rlog import RedisHandler

logging.basicConfig(
    level=logging.DEBUG,
    format='%(asctime)s %(name)12s: %(levelname)8s > %(message)s',
    datefmt='%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S',
)

logger = logging.getLogger()
logger.addHandler(RedisHandler(channel='live_log',host=redis_hostname, port=6379))

The RedisHandler forwards the stdout/stderr to redis, a websocket server then send all the output to its connected clients (the webapplication console).
The result is a "live log" console that lets you follow the script execution without waiting for the API response.
Final result can be seen here
If you have already installed  the meraki-explorer don't forget to pull the new changes.

That is good lateral thinking!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.