Missing documentation for the /organizations/{organizationId}/policyObjects

Solved
JozefH
Here to help

Missing documentation for the /organizations/{organizationId}/policyObjects

Hey there,

I'm quite new here and I'm trying to wrap my head around how the release cycle of Dashboard API works...

I'd like to get the list of Policy Objects using Postman. I havens found anything in the Documentation (lots on Adaptive Policy, though), so I went to google and after some time using trial-and-error I constructed the correct URL: /organizations/{organizationId}/policyObjects.

Then I realised I cannot find the Python SKD call for it either. I even checked the Meraki Dashboard API Python Library on GitHub, started to dig in the organizations.py just to find out there is no such call.

a) I found note on policyObjects in v11 beta, but not in any main release. Why?

b) When this becomes a part of the Python SDK, please?

Thank you.

j.

1 Accepted Solution
John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Beta features do not appear in the public API docs, and I understand policy objects are still beta. You can ask in the MX forum if policy objects are considered GA. Meraki Support can also advise more specifically about the beta status of this MX feature.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi ,

I couldn't find any endpoint named ''policyObjects'' in the OpenAPI Specs : https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/openapiSpec

As you mentionned I could only find adaptivePolicy.  You might have to open a case for that one.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

You are right that for some reason, the PolicyObject Endpoint doesn't exist in the API Documentation on http://developer.cisco.com/meraki.

However, if you browse to the "old API documentation" you can actually find the endpoint there. When you're logged in to your Dashboard, click on Help -> API Docs.

rbnielsen_0-1648838185358.png

There, browse down to Policy Objects. Previously they were known as Network Objects, but that API is deprecated. Now it's called PolicyObject - just like the endpoint that you have found yourself.

rbnielsen_2-1648838497354.png

It's not optimal that Meraki has two different API Documentations and that they are not alligned. Hopfully that is something, Meraki will get fixed. Perhaps @MeredithW can help with poking the right people?

Anyhow, make sure to keep in mind to check both API Docs - the one at developer.cisco.com, and Meraki's own under the Help tab.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Beta features do not appear in the public API docs, and I understand policy objects are still beta. You can ask in the MX forum if policy objects are considered GA. Meraki Support can also advise more specifically about the beta status of this MX feature.

Thank you for the answer, John (and others). I thought it might be the reason, it’s just that it first appeared in v1.11 beta and it seemed to be pretty old already to be put in stable. But ok, I can live without the documentation, it’s quite simple topic. But what about the Python SDK then? Will the feature appear there once it’s stable and not beta? I’m now working on a project and I wanted to know if I have to go REST now and re-code it into Python later.

Thank you. 

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes, when the features ships GA, it will become part of the public API spec, and then the following version of the Python SDK would be generated to include it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.