Manage iOs Alerts

Dark_Knight
Here to help

Manage iOs Alerts

Hello All, 

I am fairly new to Meraki MDM and would like to know if there is a script I can use to check the status of the iPads. I have over 1000 iPads in one of my networks and need to be notified when devices go offline. Instead of being notified for each and every device going offline. Perhaps I can get a notification that 50% of the iPads went down.

I'm currently using the alerts found in SM-> Configure->Alerts and find it annoying to receive constant email updates when each device go offline/online. I need a more efficient and feasible way to check the iPads current state. Is this possible and has it been done before? 

10 Replies 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not aware of anything like that.  it is a bit of a special case.

Frequently in most MDM's (at least the ones I look after) a large number of clients are offline at a time.  They go to sleep.  They travel around going in and out of coverage.  Some might have 4G others might be WiFi only.

I can tell you in the beta version of Systems Manager there is now a top line counter showing the number of devices that have not checked in within 24 hours.  There is also a bar graph showing the check in frequency across everything (example below).

Screenshot from 2018-09-12 07-47-10.png

@Dark_Knight Yes reach out to support and ask to have the new beta home page. Its very useful and should be able to do what you are after. 

How likely is that to happen? I've called support today and they said the only way for Cisco to implement new changes to MDM I have to submit "Make a Wish." It is then up to the developers to decide to make it happen. Once they see requests for the same solution then they will start to develop.  @BlakeRichardson

Thanks @PhilipDAth. Can this graph be emailed periodically or must I sign in to view manually every time? 

There is no way to email the Overview screen.

@MerakiDave Is there anyway you can help @Dark_Knight be added to the BETA SM Home screen given this will solve his issue?

Certainly @BlakeRichardson, if needed.  First, @Dark_Knight did you call into Meraki Support and tell them you want to have this feature turned on, if you do not already have it?  It would be under Systems Manager > Monitor > Overview if you already have access to it.  If not, the first itme under the Monitor column would be "Devices" instead of "Overview".  If you don't have "Overview", give Support a ring to request it.  If that doesn't work, drop me a PM or get with your local Meraki reps to investigate.  

Once it's there, as @PhilipDAth mentioned, you will have a graph that shows which devices have been offline (not checked in) in more than 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, 30 or 90 days and these are clickable links, for convenience, that then use the connected_at filter on the Devices page.  For example connected_at:3-7 to list all devices that have been offline between 3 to 7 days.  I would also make a wish to make that Overview page exportable, and schedule-able so if you wanted you could get daily or weekly emails.

You could also investigate leveraging the SM API and write a script to pull this info using the GET command /networks/[network_id]/sm/devices in the SM calls, and one of the additional fields is lastConnected, but I haven't tried messing with this myself yet, maybe you'll be able to leverage that to automate something.

Hi @MerakiDave, I have this feature already active. The graph is resourceful but the only thing missing is the email notifications as you and @PhilipDAth mentioned. I just put in a Make a Wish request. Hopefully they will be able to implement email notification soon. It will make it easier to monitor status of certain networks with large number of devices. Do you know how long it would take for the developers to implement this feature? 

I have no experience in coding whatsoever. I'm curious if someone on the Internet has written a script using GET as you mentioned. That would be another thing to look into. 

Sorry no I don't know how much is involved on the back-end to enable that feature, but it's a valid wish and I will bring it up with the Dashboard team at the next meeting.  If there's not already an FR out there for this, I'll create one.

@MerakiDave Great, please do and let me know the outcome. Thanks!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.