IN BETA: Webhook **Custom** Payload Templates

DexterLaBora
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

IN BETA: Webhook **Custom** Payload Templates

The new Webhook Payload Templates feature is awesome!

But..

Can I change the formatting a little?

Does this work with my favorite messaging service?

Do you support custom authentication headers? 

Instead of Meraki making these decisions and building one-off integrations, why not let the user take control?!

Now in Beta, you can create custom payload templates for webhooks to fit the JSON shape, markdown preference and authentication headers that fit your needs.

Custom Payload Templates - Documentation

Check out the Template Examples section to explore integrations and ideas for your next solution.

DexterLaBora_1-1633606063751.png

Also available in our GitHub repository 

webhook-payload-templates 

DexterLaBora_4-1633606745352.png

Use the Dashboard API to upload and edit your payload templates.

DexterLaBora_5-1633607656283.png

Postman Collection for just webhooks management

Assign payload templates using either the Dashboard or the API

DexterLaBora_6-1633607730404.png

What does a template look like?

A template is written in Liquid, which uses a familiar{{variable}} syntax for those of you who use Postman. The templates will be used to generate the webhook, where the variables and any special liquid syntax will be rendered. This gives you total control as to how you shape the JSON message.

Template - body.liquid

DexterLaBora_7-1633607988066.png

Result

DexterLaBora_8-1633608010248.png

Beta participants have access to this endpoint today, and we're excited to hear your feedback. 

How do I join the beta?

If you'd like the join the beta, you can get started here.

When will these features be generally available?

The GA date is TBD but we look forward to sharing more information as we collect beta feedback.

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is super powerfull.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The templates are network-centric.  They need to be loaded into every network.

Wouldn't organisation centric be a better place for them?

I just can't imagine a case where you would create a template to say how to lay something out for a specific service (such as "Service X"), and then would want to very that per network.  And even if you did, you could just use unique template names.

The HTTP Servers are network-scoped, so the payload templates followed the similar structure. That being said, we are looking at options for org-wide management but it may take some time. Until then, I would make use of Action Batches if you have to deploy these at scale. 

Shawn_Hawley
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Game Changer! 

Shaun1387
Getting noticed

This is a cool feature and we are making use of it in our dev labs.

Big question is though, when will we see this for the Meraki Insight alerts ? At the moment, the MI Webhooks dont seem to support templates all so if you want to send MI related Webhooks to a 3rd party tool which is looking for an API key in the header , its not possible.

MI Webhook support for templates would be cool, if only to support API in headers.

Thanks for the feedback!

Support for MI webhook templates would be cool. So cool in fact, that we have already started building it 🙂

Here is the Early Access docs for the new endpoints.
https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!create-organization-webhooks-payload-template

MI alerts are organization scoped (as opposed to network scoped) so we had to build a new CRUD group for this. 

As an extra bonus, you will now be able to manage Webhook templates at the Organization level and share the templates across your networks. 

Note, this is currently an API feature only, so you might not see the "payload template" option in the Dashboard GUI on the Insight page when configuring our webhook HTTPS receiver.

You can, however, configure the templates using the new editor.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

AWESOME !!! 😁

I will definitely have a look at this, !

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.