Get Network Clients api call doesn't return data

SOLVED
rbrych
Conversationalist

Get Network Clients api call doesn't return data

Hi,

I'm trying to get clients using specific network via Get Network Clients endpoint (/networks/{networkId}/clients) but as a result I don't get any data. At the same time when I try to get clients of specific device(device belongs to network I used in getNetworkClients endpoint) via Get Device Clients endpoint ( /devices/{serial}/clients) all data about clients of this device is returned correctly.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between these two endpoints in terms of the data they return (getNetworkClients and getDeviceClients) and what could be the reason that Get Network Clients api call does not return data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The difference is one call is device level and the other network level. So, the device level call would return clients connected to say a single AP based on the serial number you input. The network call would return clients connected to all APs in a network.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The difference is one call is device level and the other network level. So, the device level call would return clients connected to say a single AP based on the serial number you input. The network call would return clients connected to all APs in a network.

rbrych
Conversationalist

I understand this difference. The problem is that I have device connected to specific network and getDeviceClients endpoint returns clients of this device but getNetworkClients endpoint doesn't return any data about clients despite the fact that this network accurately contains devices with clients(the device for which I fetched clients via getDeviceClients endpoint is on this network). Therefore, getNetworkClients endpoint should also return data...

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I was able to test both endpoints and they are returning the correct info.  

Are you clients displayed in Network-Wide -> Clients ?

rbrych
Conversationalist

Yes, clients returned via getDeviceClients endpoint is displayed in Network-Wide -> Client.

But I finally understand what was wrong. MR device is considered as client for MX device and getDeviceClients endpoint detects it but getNetworkClients endpoint works only with clients of wireless devices and doesn't return clients of swithes and other types. That was exactly what I was trying to understand. Therefore, I sincerely thank everyone for their help.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That doesn't make any sense. If your networks are combined , getNetworkClients will return ALL clients from the network,  including those from the MX , MS , MR. 

AxL1971
Building a reputation

This will return all clients connected to the AP's in the last 5 minutes

Obviously modify query related to your network ID and SSID number

"https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/networks/<network ID>/wireless/clientCountHistory?timespan=300&resolution=300&ssid=<SSID>"

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No mention of clients being wireless in this post

LearningIsFun
Getting noticed

I am not sure if this 100% accurate but it seems to be how I have experienced it.

The network clients requires data to be passed through the router onsite (or is it VPNs?).

I have been able to see clients at the device level, that do not show at the network level, and it seems to be based on some amount of data passing, either through uplinks/VPNs/ or.. Router...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.