Find a client in multiple network ID's

Erick31
Conversationalist

Find a client in multiple network ID's

Hello,

Im doing a test project using the Meraki API. I can easily figure out how to find a client on a network when I have a specific network ID and get the response. However, in our case we have multiple buildings with multiple network ID's. 

Is there a way in the API to do a search for a client that would look for that client on multiple network ID's? 

4 REPLIES 4
sungod
Getting noticed

Re: Find a client in multiple network ID's

Don't think there's an org-wide call for clients.

You can just use getOrganizationNetworks to get the list of networks, then iterate over that with getNetworkClients to give you the complete client list, or use a filter argument to limit response to the one you want based on client MAC.

Erick31
Conversationalist

ok thanks... Thats what I figured the answer would be, but just wanted to check.

MarkD_BT
Getting noticed

as sungod stated. I have achieved this but is a very long winded process depending on how many sites and users you have.

parse all networks then iterate through each network to pull back the clients on a network 

https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/networks/{networkId}/clients

You can add timescales onto this with appending something like the following on the url to set a time scale below brings back a 1000 user's per site for the last 5 hours.

?timespan=18000&perPage=1000

add the results into a variable to either filter on what your looking for or output to a csv to then query from the spreadsheet. I've found searching against Mac address easiest but getting harder to use mac with randomised mac's

Erick31
Conversationalist

Thank you for the information. That leads me down a closer path to what I need. Luckily I work in a school with controlled devices, so we shut off the Mac randomization 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.