Does it exist a feature such as "subscription to events" ?

Gini_Dev_Team
Here to help

Does it exist a feature such as "subscription to events" ?

Hello,

Because I am facing some limitations (ie : 429 http rc) with the automatic use of Meraki's API,

I would like to improve my software by changing the design.

In few words, today I am using several endpoints with network_id as parameter.

For example :

- /api/v1/networks/{networkId}/appliance/warmSpare
- /api/v1/networks/{networkId}/topology/linkLayer
- /api/v1/networks/{networkId}/appliance/vlans
- /api/v1/networks/{networkId}/appliance/trafficShaping/uplinkBandwidth
- /api/v1/networks/{networkId}/appliance/vlans/settings

Some of my clients have more than 600 network_ids.

These means that I generate more than 3000 requests if I want the infos up-to-date for this client.

Does it exist a feature such as "subscription to event : change on this network_id" ?

With this event, I will be informed that I have to request this network_id and so I will hugely decrease my sollicitation to the API because I will request only this network_id.

Many thanks in advance for a response

Chris

3 Replies 3
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If you're looking to check for config changes, wouldn't you just pull the Organization change log and maybe only look at Network IDs that have been altered?

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!get-organization-configuration-changes

JasonM
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Another idea may be to utilize webhooks for the configuration settings are changed alert so to leverage a push method with details of the network and the details of the change made.

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I love the idea of subscribing to events!

That said, @JasonM has the right idea -- once you've got your initial polling done, it'd be easier to find subsequent changes via polling the configuration changes endpoint -- that way you don't need to poll all the individual endpoints.

This wouldn't include topology info, but otherwise, looks like the rest would be evidenced in the config changes output.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.