Device Or Network Name in : get_organization_uplinks_loss_and_latency

SOLVED
damienleick
Getting noticed

Device Or Network Name in : get_organization_uplinks_loss_and_latency

Hi, 

I'm actually doing a personnalized Table to have status of all uplinks in our organizations and  I wondered why in this request :

get_organization_uplinks_loss_and_latency

There is No device Name or Network Name return int he JSON. It return the Network Id but,

personnaly I don't care of the network Id because it's a data who are not 'viewable' in the Dashboard, I think the Device Name or Network Name is more usefull

What do you think of that ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nash
Kind of a big deal

Then it's repeating information across calls, over and over.

I tend to revert to database thinking on this. The organization ID, network ID, and serial number function like primary keys and foreign keys. Using those keys, you can access specific information that all tie back to those keys.

If you need the name of the appliance, not just the serial number, pull a list of devices for that org or that network. Then use the device serial number as a key to connect name to uplink status.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, I think it should stick to returning Ids.  Otherwise it is very painfull handling renamed networks and the like.

You can get all the networks Ids in a single call with:

https://dashboard.meraki.com/api_docs#list-the-networks-in-an-organization 

Yeah I know you can do that but Concertly when you are doing this request. The API go In each Appliance to do the test on uplink,

it take the network Id, the serial of the serial of the appliance so why do not take the Device Name if you are in the appliance ?

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Then it's repeating information across calls, over and over.

I tend to revert to database thinking on this. The organization ID, network ID, and serial number function like primary keys and foreign keys. Using those keys, you can access specific information that all tie back to those keys.

If you need the name of the appliance, not just the serial number, pull a list of devices for that org or that network. Then use the device serial number as a key to connect name to uplink status.

Ok I've done that.

I just think is useless to do two API call when only one could be do.

thanks

timob121
Here to help

Would the Get --> Organization VPN status help? It provides the Network Name and the WAN Status/IP.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.